RE: [RedHotJazz] Lil Armstrong - Interview / Documentary

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2004
      I agree and offer many thanks.

      The ponderous and portentous style reminded me of VOA 'Jazz Hour' in Special
      English with which I grew up ,trannie under bed covers. Willis Conover style
      of delivery certainly, but not ,I think, the man himself.

      The tone of the commentary however reminded me of purple Bleshian excess.

      This material was in the Histories pre-1963 so either Lil kept telling the
      same story word for word, or this is earlier.

    • Scott Alexander
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2004
        This recording is from a Riverside LP:
        RLP 12 120 Satchmo and Me / Lil Armstrong a Documentary which came out in
        1963 or 1964.

        I don't have access to the original. I was bidding on it on eBay a few years
        ago and lost. It sold for around $70 if I remember correctly. The seller
        recognized that I was a losing bidder and sent me a copy on tape for free
        for the archive.

        I don't know who the announcer is. His tone is a little 1950's man and
        overly dramatic but I think Lil's stories overshadow all that.

        Scott Alexander
        The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        www.redhotjazz.com