Re: [RedHotJazz] Lil Armstrong - Interview / Documentary

  • Muggmuggles
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2004
      Mr. Alexander-
      Boy Oh Boy, that was a nicely edited interview. Do you happen to know
      know who the "announcer" was? There's a real familiarity, but I can't
      peg it.
      Was this originally part of a radio broadcast, or maybe the audio of a
      film? Perspiring minds need to know <g>.
      As for Lil, that wonderful laugh will live with me forever. I'd rub and
      scrub and eat the suds, if she'd only come back to us. Thanks so much
      for making it available.
      Red Beans and Ricely-- Mugg Muggles

      The Man With the Jive
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2004
        I agree and offer many thanks.

        The ponderous and portentous style reminded me of VOA 'Jazz Hour' in Special
        English with which I grew up ,trannie under bed covers. Willis Conover style
        of delivery certainly, but not ,I think, the man himself.

        The tone of the commentary however reminded me of purple Bleshian excess.

        This material was in the Histories pre-1963 so either Lil kept telling the
        same story word for word, or this is earlier.

      • Scott Alexander
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2004
          This recording is from a Riverside LP:
          RLP 12 120 Satchmo and Me / Lil Armstrong a Documentary which came out in
          1963 or 1964.

          I don't have access to the original. I was bidding on it on eBay a few years
          ago and lost. It sold for around $70 if I remember correctly. The seller
          recognized that I was a losing bidder and sent me a copy on tape for free
          for the archive.

          I don't know who the announcer is. His tone is a little 1950's man and
          overly dramatic but I think Lil's stories overshadow all that.

          Scott Alexander
          The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          www.redhotjazz.com