Lil Armstrong - Interview / Documentary

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2004
      Here is a fascinating interview with Lil Armstrong:
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/lil/SatchmoandMe.ram
      It think this record was recorded in 1963. It's about 42 minutes long ,so
      grab a drink smoke em if you've got em and check it out.

      You can read about Lil Armstrong here: http://www.redhotjazz.com/lil.html as
      well as finding links to most of Lil Armstrong's solo work.

      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com
    • Muggmuggles
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2004
        Mr. Alexander-
        Boy Oh Boy, that was a nicely edited interview. Do you happen to know
        know who the "announcer" was? There's a real familiarity, but I can't
        peg it.
        Was this originally part of a radio broadcast, or maybe the audio of a
        film? Perspiring minds need to know <g>.
        As for Lil, that wonderful laugh will live with me forever. I'd rub and
        scrub and eat the suds, if she'd only come back to us. Thanks so much
        for making it available.
        Red Beans and Ricely-- Mugg Muggles

        The Man With the Jive
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2004
          I agree and offer many thanks.

          The ponderous and portentous style reminded me of VOA 'Jazz Hour' in Special
          English with which I grew up ,trannie under bed covers. Willis Conover style
          of delivery certainly, but not ,I think, the man himself.

          The tone of the commentary however reminded me of purple Bleshian excess.

          This material was in the Histories pre-1963 so either Lil kept telling the
          same story word for word, or this is earlier.

        • Scott Alexander
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 10, 2004
            This recording is from a Riverside LP:
            RLP 12 120 Satchmo and Me / Lil Armstrong a Documentary which came out in
            1963 or 1964.

            I don't have access to the original. I was bidding on it on eBay a few years
            ago and lost. It sold for around $70 if I remember correctly. The seller
            recognized that I was a losing bidder and sent me a copy on tape for free
            for the archive.

            I don't know who the announcer is. His tone is a little 1950's man and
            overly dramatic but I think Lil's stories overshadow all that.

            Scott Alexander
            The Red Hot Jazz Archive
            www.redhotjazz.com