Re: Creoles and cultural confusion (was Did Whiteman Steal from Oliver?)

  • tommersl
    Message 1 of 44 , May 3, 2006
      Here is todays
      http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html
      --------------------------Quote------------------------
      Ethnic groups:
      Definition Field Listing
      white 81.7%, black 12.9%, Asian 4.2%, Amerindian and Alaska native 1%,
      native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.2% (2003 est.)
      note: a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US
      Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American
      descent (including persons of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin)
      living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black,
      Asian, etc.)
      -------------------------End-of-Quote------------------
      There is no entry for creole.
      The people that are taking the decisions behind the scenes are
      painting a full dichotomy between black and white even today.
      Is mixed considered black or white today?
      I can't tell from the list.
      tommersl
      > (For a full description of how an African-American was defined at the
      > relevant dates, consult the instructions to census enumerators,
      which can
      > easily be found on line.)
    • Andrew Homzy
      Message 44 of 44 , Jun 2, 2006
        > Maybe you are right but I wonder how Oliver could listen to Whiteman,
        > I mean , was he allowed to enter a record store that is dedicated to
        > noncolored artists music and buy records ? Or maybe he entered one of
        > Whiteman's gigs ? Is it possible ?
        > tommersl

        Everybody bought Paul Whiteman records.

        A.