Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: New Orleans

    Message 1 of 61 , May 3 2:57 AM
      on 3/5/06 10:12, Patrice Champarou at patrice.champarou@... wrote:

      > Having read very little about the question, I still wonder if its New
      > Orleans
      > birthplace is nowadays considered by historians as a "belief" or a proved
      > fact. There used to be a time when I would have shrugged my shoulders at the
      > idea that syncopation was already all over the nation before any inspired
      > soloist raised his instrumental voice above a band arrangement, but this no
      > longer bothers me any more than knowing if the primary "roots" of any music
      > are folk inpiration or written compositions. Anyway, why New Orleans more
      > than St Louis, Baltimore, Chicago or New York?

      It all depends how you define jazz, what you regard as its essential
      elements.

      In a previous post, I referred to the "what-if-ism" of speculating on what
      'jazz' would have sounded like if New Orleans jazz were not its primary
      ingredient.

      One (at least) of the "what-ifs" did really exist. You can hear it on the
      records of the Versatile Three/Four, Mitchell's Jazz Kings, the Orchestre
      Syncopated Six, and similar groups recorded in London and Paris in the late
      teens and early twenties. It even attracted white imitators (Orchestre Scrap
      Iron Jazzerinos and I think some French groups too).

      I have put on my tin hat. I know what passions can be aroused by this. "Yes,
      but it's ragtime," they shriek, putting on their ODJB records (probably at
      rock volumes). No one ever heard a ragtime record that sounded remotely like
      this stuff, but let that pass. Telling me that this music is "not jazz" will
      leave me completely unmoved. A rose by any other name, and etc.

    • Nigel Burlinson
      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 17, 2012
        Annette was issued as "Dot Dare" on:

        Diva 2792/Harmony 792H (I Wanna Be Loved By You & Is There Anything Wrong In That?)
        and
        Diva 2829/Harmony 829H (I Faw Down An' Go Boom) & Don't Be Like That)

        Nigel