Re: New Orleans

    Message 1 of 61 , May 3, 2006
      Thanks David

      I took the liberty of changing the subject line because the previous thread
      involved too many different discussions at the same time, among which some
      are IMO irrelevant to this group. I also wish to thank Albert for
      encouraging some of his forumites to join, but please remember that we are
      not supposed to deal with all possible political or moral problems, or
      attempt to reach some kind of "truth" by flooding the group with lengthy
      elaborations and full quotation of the previous posts, this is not a message
      board where everyone takes his pick but basically a mailing-list where most
      active members get each and every message into their private mailboxes.

      I hope new members will understand that direct replies to some general (and
      at the same time a bit 'personal') considerations that both Albert and
      Howard accepted to leave aside were not precisely welcome (and talking about
      'correctness' and respect, I would be glad if everyone left religion out of
      the debate) but I suppose this group is mature enough to stand pending
      questions about the origins of jazz without instantly drawing moral or
      political conclusions from any argument.

      Having read very little about the question, I still wonder if its New
      Orleans
      birthplace is nowadays considered by historians as a "belief" or a proved
      fact. There used to be a time when I would have shrugged my shoulders at the
      idea that syncopation was already all over the nation before any inspired
      soloist raised his instrumental voice above a band arrangement, but this no
      longer bothers me any more than knowing if the primary "roots" of any music
      are folk inpiration or written compositions. Anyway, why New Orleans more
      than St Louis, Baltimore, Chicago or New York?

      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 17, 2012
        Annette was issued as "Dot Dare" on:

        Diva 2792/Harmony 792H (I Wanna Be Loved By You & Is There Anything Wrong In That?)
        and
        Diva 2829/Harmony 829H (I Faw Down An' Go Boom) & Don't Be Like That)

        Nigel