Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Did Whiteman Steal form Oliver?

    Message 1 of 44 , May 2, 2006
      on 2/5/06 12:57, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

      > Of others cited in this discussion, Paul Mares sounds as he had listened to
      > Oliver and there are also stories of Frank Guarente and Oliver having
      > exchanged "lessons".

      I am very reluctant to quote specifics from Ralph Berton's Remembering Bix
      in view of its clearly fictional "this is how it was then" orientation.
      However, if he is not mis-representing Paul Mares, Mares was quite clear
      where the sources of his music lay! So in later years was George Brunis but
      these are musicians who made very different music from the Mole's,
      Nichols's, Venuti's, and Trumbauer's of this world.

      When I agreed with Albert that those musicians represented a different
      tradition from the main stream of African-American jazz, I didn't of course
      mean to suggest, nor do I believe, that there was no interaction at all.
      The instances that Andrew Homsy gave of Oliver clearly borrowing material
      from them could certainly be multiplied. Try listening to the later Doc
      Cook's.

      If you really want some fun have a look at page 358 of the Fourth (1958)
      Edition of Rudi Blesh's Shining Trumpets, where you will learn where Bix
      stole his stuff. I think not.

    • Andrew Homzy
      Message 44 of 44 , Jun 2, 2006
        > Maybe you are right but I wonder how Oliver could listen to Whiteman,
        > I mean , was he allowed to enter a record store that is dedicated to
        > noncolored artists music and buy records ? Or maybe he entered one of
        > Whiteman's gigs ? Is it possible ?
        > tommersl

        Everybody bought Paul Whiteman records.

        A.