Re: Research Question - Wolverine Blues

  • Chris Tyle
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2006
      Andrew, here's a couple more for you:

      John Wittwer Trio (Wittwer, piano; Joe Darensbourg, clarinet; Keith
      Purvis, drums)Recorded in Seattle at radio station KOL studio, Sept.
      26, 1944, issued on Exner 1. (Exner was a Seattle dentist and jazz fan
      who also recorded Kid Ory and the Seattle-based band the Rainy City
      Jazz Band.)

      Pete Daily and His Chicagoans: Pete Daily, cornet; Bud Wilson,
      trombone; Rosy McHargue, clarinet; Joe Rushton, bass sax; Don Owens,
      piano; Herman "Red" Cooper Drums. Recorded Los Angeles, October 16,
      1946, issued on Jump 12.

      Nappy Lamare and his Rendezvous Ballroom Orchestra, 1947 (Los Angeles)
      personnel includes Matty Matlock (clarinet) and Nick Fatool (drums).
      On Fairmont LP M105.

      Dink Johnson, piano. Los Angeles, 1948. On Euphonic LP1202.

      The Tailgate Jazzband led by Conrad Janis, Los Angeles, October 23,
      1949 (unissued, two other tunes from the session issued on Record
      Changer 101)

      And the previously mentioned Turk and Scobey.

      There was a private recording of an early Lu Watters session which
      has, as I recall, Watters, Turk, I believe Bob Helm, Paul Lingle on
      piano, and possibly Gordon Edwards on drums. It is available through
      the San Francisco Traditional Jazz Foundation website as Lu Watters
      and his Yerba Buena Jazz Band vol. 1. I think it was recorded in the
      late 1930s. The foundation's site is http://www.sftradjazz.org/order.html

      Finally, my father, Axel Tyle, played drums with the early Castle Jazz
      Band in Portland. A test recording of Wolverine was made by the group
      in 1944 but never issued. Personnel included Ned Dotson, cornet, Bill
      Pavia, clarinet, George Phillips, trombone, Monte Ballou, guitar and
      my father on drums.

      Cheers,
      Chris Tyle