Re: [RedHotJazz] Did Whiteman Steal form Oliver?

  • Andrew Homzy
    Message 1 of 44 , May 1, 2006
      > From: Howard Rye <howard@...>
      > Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 19:17:42 +0100
      > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] Did Whiteman Steal form Oliver?

      > On the substantive issue I very much doubt that Whiteman took much from
      > Oliver. If he did it certainly had very little effect. Any literal stealing
      > is likely to have been in the other direction.

      I agree. Not that Oliver "stole" - but that he took ideas and weaved them
      into his own context. There are many echoes of Whiteman's "Wang Wang Blues"
      and "Whispering" to be heard in the Creole Jazz Band recordings - and most
      of the readership here will easily identify those parallel passages.

      Cheers,

      Andrew Homzy, Montréal
    • Andrew Homzy
      Message 44 of 44 , Jun 2, 2006
        > Maybe you are right but I wonder how Oliver could listen to Whiteman,
        > I mean , was he allowed to enter a record store that is dedicated to
        > noncolored artists music and buy records ? Or maybe he entered one of
        > Whiteman's gigs ? Is it possible ?
        > tommersl

        Everybody bought Paul Whiteman records.

        A.