Re: [RedHotJazz] Was Bix "corny"? ("Singin' the Blue s, Bix, and Tram" More About The Bix Influence)

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2006
      As you say, we have no evidence one way or the other, so there is little point in speculating whether his playing sounded "corny" to other musicians, black or white. Maybe someone can define "corny" satisfactorily for us to use it as a common term for evaluation. Intuitively, I would say that it has an element of "old-fashioned" and my thesaurus also mentions "clichéd".

      Bob's answer implies that all white musicians would have been perceived as corny by their black peers at the time, including Phil Napoleon, Paul Mares or Frank Guarente, who predated most of Bix' earliest solo work. I would rather doubt this.

      Another interesting question is to what extent Ellington had a hand in writing the 1938 article Albert cites.

      Michael Rader