Re: [RedHotJazz] Was Bix "corny"? ("Singin' the Blues, Bix, and Tram" More About The Bix Influence)

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2006
      About King Oliver (or was it Louis Armstrong) saying that Bix Beiderbecke's "white man's trumpeting was corny", kknauer wrote:
      "Corny my butt!".
      Bix's playing was probably corny at this time (1922) - we have no real evidence one way or another. He was only 19 at the time, and didn't join the Wolverines until two years later, when he made his first recordings. All the reports of his playing before this (that I can find) are by white associates. I don't doubt that his technique was phenomenal even at this early age, but doubt whether his style would sound other than "corny" to established black jazz musicians.

      Cheers

      Bob Smith