Re: Name That Tune! - help needed identifying a couple of songs

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 8, 2006
      The second tune is certainly "Titine, Je Cherche Apres Titine." It was
      written in 1917 by Bertal-Maubon (lyrics) and Léo Daniderff (music).
      Used by Charlie Chaplin in Modern Times with invented words.

      The first line of the refrain go as follows.

      Je cherche après Titine, Titine, oh ! Titine !

      Katrina, my Katrina, I must have my Katrina!

      Tobin, I can see that the words you cited fit perfectly well with the
      tune. Do you remember the music? Is it the same as the one sung by
      Chaplin? Maybe a translation?

      Bing Crosby recorded a song entitled "Katrina" in 1945. He also sang a
      song named "Katrina" in the 1949 Walt Disney Film, "The Adventures of
      Ichabod and Mr. Toad." According to imdb, this tune was written by Don
      Raye and Gene de Paul. This is a different song. The lyrics for the
      Disney film song are given in http://tinyurl.com/mz67n

      Albert

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, tobinpreston@... wrote:

      > Is the second one " my Katrina"? Katrina my Katrina< I must have my
      Katrina!

    • tobinpreston@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 8, 2006
        Ill try to find the 78 , second line " It cant be Rose or Lena!

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 8, 2006
          Now that I reviewd the mp3 I can definately state that the music is the same ! Too bad there isnt more of the song in the movie as Ill bet it would have been great! i am a great fan of music of this era especially Chevalier,It is also shame Chaplin didnt sing more as I think he had a fitting voice for this genre of music.

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 9, 2006
            EGAD I think that old age(54) is gaining on me. I NOW distinctly remember the Song is not Katrina but Titrina! The name Katrina has been in the news so much recently I associated it with the song which I now realise I misnamed. Tritina my Tritina I must have my Tritina It cant be Rose or Lena Tritina I love you!!! Ive Got to find that 78 now!!!"Oh Katherina" is an entirely different song but along the same lines.

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 9, 2006
              Tobin,

              Now you are talking. The tune you remember is Titina, not Tritina.
              Here is information about it from a site that is no longer available.
              I got this in cache.
              http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:Jomlz1muYg4J:www.perfessorbill.com/pbmidi10a.shtml+titina+titine&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1
              That is why the links are dead.

              "Titina (Je Cherche Aprčs Titine)

              Lyrics
              Titina (Je Cherche Aprčs Titine)

              Léo Daniderff (M), Zez Confrey (M additional theme), Bertal-Maubon and
              E. Ronn (L) - 1922/1925: This is an absolutely charming piece that
              although is not commonly heard today realized some fame in both Europe
              and the U.S. in the 1920s. Composed by the Frenchman Léo Daniderff in
              1922, [I think this is wrong; it was 1917, ed.] Titina made its way to
              the U.S. with English lyrics via the stage revue Puzzles of 1925. Zez
              Confrey, in his capacity as an Ampico reproducing roll artist took off
              with the tune in a fabulous arrangement, some of which is quoted here.
              He started with the very catchy chorus, used the verse as an interlude
              before a chorus variation, and even arranged a third theme in the
              manner of a trio, which is paraphrased in this performance. Other
              artists and bands recorded it throughout the late 1920s as well.
              However, the chorus of the piece was used to greatest effect in the
              1936 Charles Chaplin film Modern Times in a scene where he is called
              upon as an alleged singing waiter to perform a piece. The tramp
              character consequently chose Titina with some partly non-sensical
              French lyrics made up for the occasion and suggestively delivered at
              points. Lest one dismiss Chaplin's musical tastes or talents, know
              that he often composed music for his silent and sound films, including
              the oft-used Smile for this same soundtrack. My take on Titina is a
              little more laid back and exudes a natural swing inherent in the
              composition."

              You can hear the Bob Haring 1925 recording -Cameo 697 mx 1372- in
              Dismuke website. Go to
              http://www.dismuke.org/how/prev3-05.html
              and scroll down half way the page.

              The tune was also recorded in 1924 by Jack Hylton and in 1925 by Carl
              Fenton, the International Novelty orchestra, Harry Reser, and Vincent
              Lopez. There is a version by Billy Murray on Victor 19640.

              These are the lyrics you remember.

              I'm looking for Titina, Titina, my Titina,
              I've searched from Palistina, to London and Peru.
              I'll die without Titina, I can't eat my farina,
              I don't want Rose or Lena, Titina I want you.

            • tobinpreston@netscape.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 9, 2006
                I can sleep tonight : another mystery solved!

> [...]

                Fenton, the International Novelty orchestra, Harry Reser, and Vincent
                Lopez. There is a version by Billy Murray on Victor 19640.

                These are the lyrics you remember.

                I'm looking for Titina, Titina, my Titina,
                I've searched from Palistina, to London and Peru.
                I'll die without Titina, I can't eat my farina,
                I don't want Rose or Lena, Titina I want you.

                Albert

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, tobinpreston@... wrote:

                > EGAD I think that old age(54) is gaining on me. I NOW distinctly
                remember the Song is not Katrina but Titrina! The name Katrina has
                been in the news so much recently I associated it with the song which
                I now realise I misnamed. Tritina my Tritina I must have my Tritina
                It cant be Rose or Lena Tritina I love you!!! Ive Got to find that
                78 now!!!"Oh Katherina" is an entirely different song but along the

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • Dennis Pereyra
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 24, 2006
                  I have solved the other mystery! The first song linked
                  as "bernie1.ram" is called "Craving", written by Ben Bernie, Philip
                  Charig and Kenneth Casey, copyright 1925. It was recorded by Ben
                  Bernie and His Orchestra on Vocalion 14965 on January 21, 1925.
                  Thanks to the Online Discographical Project and the Red Hot Jazz
                  Archive for the clues needed. Case closed.

                  Dennis

                  Service.

                • tobinpreston@netscape.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 25, 2006
                    Wonderful! to stay with the stream I have a copy of a song " My Supressed Desire" , I guess being disenchanted with life isnt just a modern problem!