Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Name That Tune! - help needed identifying a couple of songs

  • tobinpreston@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 7, 2006
      Is the second one " my Katrina"? Katrina my Katrina< I must have my Katrina!

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 8, 2006
        The second tune is certainly "Titine, Je Cherche Apres Titine." It was
        written in 1917 by Bertal-Maubon (lyrics) and Léo Daniderff (music).
        Used by Charlie Chaplin in Modern Times with invented words.

        The first line of the refrain go as follows.

        Je cherche après Titine, Titine, oh ! Titine !

        Katrina, my Katrina, I must have my Katrina!

        Tobin, I can see that the words you cited fit perfectly well with the
        tune. Do you remember the music? Is it the same as the one sung by
        Chaplin? Maybe a translation?

        Bing Crosby recorded a song entitled "Katrina" in 1945. He also sang a
        song named "Katrina" in the 1949 Walt Disney Film, "The Adventures of
        Ichabod and Mr. Toad." According to imdb, this tune was written by Don
        Raye and Gene de Paul. This is a different song. The lyrics for the
        Disney film song are given in http://tinyurl.com/mz67n

        Albert

      • tobinpreston@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 8, 2006
          Ill try to find the 78 , second line " It cant be Rose or Lena!

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 8, 2006
            Now that I reviewd the mp3 I can definately state that the music is the same ! Too bad there isnt more of the song in the movie as Ill bet it would have been great! i am a great fan of music of this era especially Chevalier,It is also shame Chaplin didnt sing more as I think he had a fitting voice for this genre of music.

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 9, 2006
              EGAD I think that old age(54) is gaining on me. I NOW distinctly remember the Song is not Katrina but Titrina! The name Katrina has been in the news so much recently I associated it with the song which I now realise I misnamed. Tritina my Tritina I must have my Tritina It cant be Rose or Lena Tritina I love you!!! Ive Got to find that 78 now!!!"Oh Katherina" is an entirely different song but along the same lines.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 9, 2006
                Tobin,

                Now you are talking. The tune you remember is Titina, not Tritina.
                Here is information about it from a site that is no longer available.
                I got this in cache.
                http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:Jomlz1muYg4J:www.perfessorbill.com/pbmidi10a.shtml+titina+titine&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1
                That is why the links are dead.

                "Titina (Je Cherche Aprčs Titine)

                Lyrics
                Titina (Je Cherche Aprčs Titine)

                Léo Daniderff (M), Zez Confrey (M additional theme), Bertal-Maubon and
                E. Ronn (L) - 1922/1925: This is an absolutely charming piece that
                although is not commonly heard today realized some fame in both Europe
                and the U.S. in the 1920s. Composed by the Frenchman Léo Daniderff in
                1922, [I think this is wrong; it was 1917, ed.] Titina made its way to
                the U.S. with English lyrics via the stage revue Puzzles of 1925. Zez
                Confrey, in his capacity as an Ampico reproducing roll artist took off
                with the tune in a fabulous arrangement, some of which is quoted here.
                He started with the very catchy chorus, used the verse as an interlude
                before a chorus variation, and even arranged a third theme in the
                manner of a trio, which is paraphrased in this performance. Other
                artists and bands recorded it throughout the late 1920s as well.
                However, the chorus of the piece was used to greatest effect in the
                1936 Charles Chaplin film Modern Times in a scene where he is called
                upon as an alleged singing waiter to perform a piece. The tramp
                character consequently chose Titina with some partly non-sensical
                French lyrics made up for the occasion and suggestively delivered at
                points. Lest one dismiss Chaplin's musical tastes or talents, know
                that he often composed music for his silent and sound films, including
                the oft-used Smile for this same soundtrack. My take on Titina is a
                little more laid back and exudes a natural swing inherent in the
                composition."

                You can hear the Bob Haring 1925 recording -Cameo 697 mx 1372- in
                Dismuke website. Go to
                http://www.dismuke.org/how/prev3-05.html
                and scroll down half way the page.

                The tune was also recorded in 1924 by Jack Hylton and in 1925 by Carl
                Fenton, the International Novelty orchestra, Harry Reser, and Vincent
                Lopez. There is a version by Billy Murray on Victor 19640.

                These are the lyrics you remember.

                I'm looking for Titina, Titina, my Titina,
                I've searched from Palistina, to London and Peru.
                I'll die without Titina, I can't eat my farina,
                I don't want Rose or Lena, Titina I want you.

              • tobinpreston@netscape.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 9, 2006
                  I can sleep tonight : another mystery solved!

> [...]

                  Fenton, the International Novelty orchestra, Harry Reser, and Vincent
                  Lopez. There is a version by Billy Murray on Victor 19640.

                  These are the lyrics you remember.

                  I'm looking for Titina, Titina, my Titina,
                  I've searched from Palistina, to London and Peru.
                  I'll die without Titina, I can't eat my farina,
                  I don't want Rose or Lena, Titina I want you.

                  Albert

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, tobinpreston@... wrote:

                  > EGAD I think that old age(54) is gaining on me. I NOW distinctly
                  remember the Song is not Katrina but Titrina! The name Katrina has
                  been in the news so much recently I associated it with the song which
                  I now realise I misnamed. Tritina my Tritina I must have my Tritina
                  It cant be Rose or Lena Tritina I love you!!! Ive Got to find that
                  78 now!!!"Oh Katherina" is an entirely different song but along the

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                • Dennis Pereyra
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 24, 2006
                    I have solved the other mystery! The first song linked
                    as "bernie1.ram" is called "Craving", written by Ben Bernie, Philip
                    Charig and Kenneth Casey, copyright 1925. It was recorded by Ben
                    Bernie and His Orchestra on Vocalion 14965 on January 21, 1925.
                    Thanks to the Online Discographical Project and the Red Hot Jazz
                    Archive for the clues needed. Case closed.

                    Dennis

                    Service.

                  • tobinpreston@netscape.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 25, 2006
                      Wonderful! to stay with the stream I have a copy of a song " My Supressed Desire" , I guess being disenchanted with life isnt just a modern problem!