Re: Name That Tune! - help needed identifying a couple of songs

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 4 6:02 AM
      Scott,

      http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/bernie/bernie2.ram is an old (World
      War I?) French song called "Titine" or "Je cherche apres Titine."
      Charlie Chaplin sang it with made up words in one of his films,
      "Modern Times" I believe. Jacques Brel revived in the 1960s.

      Albert

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

      > Can anyone help identify these two songs by Ben Bernie and His
      Orchestra
      > from a Deforest Phonofilm?
      >
      > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/bernie/bernie1.ram
      >
      > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/bernie/bernie2.ram
      >

      > Scott Alexander
      > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      > www.redhotjazz.com

    • Albert Haim
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 4 6:16 AM
        You can hear a clip of Chaplin's singing "Titine" by going to

        http://www.charliechaplin.com/article.php3?id_article=66

        scrolling down, and clicking on the mp3 link.

        Albert

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

        > Scott,
        >
        > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/bernie/bernie2.ram is an old (World
        > War I?) French song called "Titine" or "Je cherche apres Titine."
        > Charlie Chaplin sang it with made up words in one of his films,
        > "Modern Times" I believe. Jacques Brel revived in the 1960s.
        >
        > Albert
        >

        > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Can anyone help identify these two songs by Ben Bernie and His
        > Orchestra
        > > from a Deforest Phonofilm?
        > >
        > > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/bernie/bernie1.ram
        > >
        > > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/bernie/bernie2.ram
        > >

        > > Scott Alexander
        > > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        > > www.redhotjazz.com

      • Scott Alexander
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4 10:06 PM
          Thanks Albert!

          Scott Alexander
          The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          www.redhotjazz.com

        • tobinpreston@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 7 1:46 PM
            Is the second one " my Katrina"? Katrina my Katrina< I must have my Katrina!

            War I?) French song called "Titine" or "Je cherche apres Titine."
            Charlie Chaplin sang it with made up words in one of his films,
            "Modern Times" I believe. Jacques Brel revived in the 1960s.

            Albert

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

            > Can anyone help identify these two songs by Ben Bernie and His
            Orchestra
            > from a Deforest Phonofilm?
            >
            > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/bernie/bernie1.ram
            >
            > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/bernie/bernie2.ram
            >

            > Scott Alexander
            > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
            > www.redhotjazz.com

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Albert Haim
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 8 6:12 AM
              The second tune is certainly "Titine, Je Cherche Apres Titine." It was
              written in 1917 by Bertal-Maubon (lyrics) and Léo Daniderff (music).
              Used by Charlie Chaplin in Modern Times with invented words.

              The first line of the refrain go as follows.

              Je cherche après Titine, Titine, oh ! Titine !

              Katrina, my Katrina, I must have my Katrina!

              Tobin, I can see that the words you cited fit perfectly well with the
              tune. Do you remember the music? Is it the same as the one sung by
              Chaplin? Maybe a translation?

              Bing Crosby recorded a song entitled "Katrina" in 1945. He also sang a
              song named "Katrina" in the 1949 Walt Disney Film, "The Adventures of
              Ichabod and Mr. Toad." According to imdb, this tune was written by Don
              Raye and Gene de Paul. This is a different song. The lyrics for the
              Disney film song are given in http://tinyurl.com/mz67n

              Albert

            • tobinpreston@netscape.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 8 1:38 PM
                Ill try to find the 78 , second line " It cant be Rose or Lena!

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 8 1:48 PM
                  Now that I reviewd the mp3 I can definately state that the music is the same ! Too bad there isnt more of the song in the movie as Ill bet it would have been great! i am a great fan of music of this era especially Chevalier,It is also shame Chaplin didnt sing more as I think he had a fitting voice for this genre of music.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 9 2:47 PM
                    EGAD I think that old age(54) is gaining on me. I NOW distinctly remember the Song is not Katrina but Titrina! The name Katrina has been in the news so much recently I associated it with the song which I now realise I misnamed. Tritina my Tritina I must have my Tritina It cant be Rose or Lena Tritina I love you!!! Ive Got to find that 78 now!!!"Oh Katherina" is an entirely different song but along the same lines.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 9 3:57 PM
                      Tobin,

                      Now you are talking. The tune you remember is Titina, not Tritina.
                      Here is information about it from a site that is no longer available.
                      I got this in cache.
                      http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:Jomlz1muYg4J:www.perfessorbill.com/pbmidi10a.shtml+titina+titine&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1
                      That is why the links are dead.

                      "Titina (Je Cherche Aprčs Titine)

                      Lyrics
                      Titina (Je Cherche Aprčs Titine)

                      Léo Daniderff (M), Zez Confrey (M additional theme), Bertal-Maubon and
                      E. Ronn (L) - 1922/1925: This is an absolutely charming piece that
                      although is not commonly heard today realized some fame in both Europe
                      and the U.S. in the 1920s. Composed by the Frenchman Léo Daniderff in
                      1922, [I think this is wrong; it was 1917, ed.] Titina made its way to
                      the U.S. with English lyrics via the stage revue Puzzles of 1925. Zez
                      Confrey, in his capacity as an Ampico reproducing roll artist took off
                      with the tune in a fabulous arrangement, some of which is quoted here.
                      He started with the very catchy chorus, used the verse as an interlude
                      before a chorus variation, and even arranged a third theme in the
                      manner of a trio, which is paraphrased in this performance. Other
                      artists and bands recorded it throughout the late 1920s as well.
                      However, the chorus of the piece was used to greatest effect in the
                      1936 Charles Chaplin film Modern Times in a scene where he is called
                      upon as an alleged singing waiter to perform a piece. The tramp
                      character consequently chose Titina with some partly non-sensical
                      French lyrics made up for the occasion and suggestively delivered at
                      points. Lest one dismiss Chaplin's musical tastes or talents, know
                      that he often composed music for his silent and sound films, including
                      the oft-used Smile for this same soundtrack. My take on Titina is a
                      little more laid back and exudes a natural swing inherent in the
                      composition."

                      You can hear the Bob Haring 1925 recording -Cameo 697 mx 1372- in
                      Dismuke website. Go to
                      http://www.dismuke.org/how/prev3-05.html
                      and scroll down half way the page.

                      The tune was also recorded in 1924 by Jack Hylton and in 1925 by Carl
                      Fenton, the International Novelty orchestra, Harry Reser, and Vincent
                      Lopez. There is a version by Billy Murray on Victor 19640.

                      These are the lyrics you remember.

                      I'm looking for Titina, Titina, my Titina,
                      I've searched from Palistina, to London and Peru.
                      I'll die without Titina, I can't eat my farina,
                      I don't want Rose or Lena, Titina I want you.

                    • tobinpreston@netscape.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 9 8:18 PM
                        I can sleep tonight : another mystery solved!

> [...]

                        Fenton, the International Novelty orchestra, Harry Reser, and Vincent
                        Lopez. There is a version by Billy Murray on Victor 19640.

                        These are the lyrics you remember.

                        I'm looking for Titina, Titina, my Titina,
                        I've searched from Palistina, to London and Peru.
                        I'll die without Titina, I can't eat my farina,
                        I don't want Rose or Lena, Titina I want you.

                        Albert

                        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, tobinpreston@... wrote:

                        > EGAD I think that old age(54) is gaining on me. I NOW distinctly
                        remember the Song is not Katrina but Titrina! The name Katrina has
                        been in the news so much recently I associated it with the song which
                        I now realise I misnamed. Tritina my Tritina I must have my Tritina
                        It cant be Rose or Lena Tritina I love you!!! Ive Got to find that
                        78 now!!!"Oh Katherina" is an entirely different song but along the

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      • Dennis Pereyra
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 24 10:42 PM
                          I have solved the other mystery! The first song linked
                          as "bernie1.ram" is called "Craving", written by Ben Bernie, Philip
                          Charig and Kenneth Casey, copyright 1925. It was recorded by Ben
                          Bernie and His Orchestra on Vocalion 14965 on January 21, 1925.
                          Thanks to the Online Discographical Project and the Red Hot Jazz
                          Archive for the clues needed. Case closed.

                          Dennis

                          Service.

                        • tobinpreston@netscape.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 25 2:34 PM
                            Wonderful! to stay with the stream I have a copy of a song " My Supressed Desire" , I guess being disenchanted with life isnt just a modern problem!