Re: Does anyone know this song?

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006
      Dear Erik

      Could this be the song you're looking for (recorded by numerous bands and artists from 1925 onwards):

      "I Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight"

      I burned up ev'ry letter
      And thought that I'd feel better
      I put away her picture too
      Sent back each little present
      And though it wasn't pleasant
      It seemed the wisest thing to do
      I've done ev'rything I could and yet
      It isn't very easy to forget

      I wonder where my baby is tonight
      I wonder how my baby is tonight
      I wonder where she's gone and how she's getting on
      I wonder why my baby doesn't write

      If she came back I wonder what I'd do
      I wonder did she find somebody new
      She didn't treat me fair and though I shouldn't care
      I wonder where my baby is tonight

      I wonder does my baby do the Charleston, Charleston
      I wonder who is teaching her the Charleston, Charleston
      While I sit and sigh, the time goes draggin' by
      I'd like to kill the guy who wrote the Charleston, Charleston

      We parted 'cause I couldn't do the Charleston, Charleston
      She'd still be here if I could do the Charleston, Charleston
      I'm takin' lessons now,; I'll win her back somehow
      I wonder where my baby is tonight

      PS I think "Haerverk" is better translated as "Wanton Damage" or maybe "Vandalism"

      Kind Regards

      Bob Smith