Re: [RedHotJazz] over-intellectualizing

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 31, 2006
      on 31/3/06 12:54, Patrice Champarou at patrice.champarou@... wrote:

      > I'm not sure this is relevant to what you're discussing either, but it
      > cannot be a coincidence if French has only one word to refer to both "folk"
      > and "popular" music.

      Whereas English did not have a term which covered both until "vernacular
      music" was invented (quite recently I suspect) to fill the perceived need!

      If you work through B & G you will find some surprising examples of "folk"
      versions of popular and jazz numbers, especially amongst string bands. The
      Dallas String Band's Columbia 14410-D takes some beating from this
      standpoint (Chasin' Rainbows/I Used To Call her Baby).

      And then at his very next session Coley Jones recorded a version of Our
      Gudeman. But this material is all rendered into their own performance style.