Re: Jimmie Noone With Kid Ory's Creole Orchestra - 2 Damn Fine Tunes Added

  • robertgreenwood_54uk
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2004
      These tracks are airchecks from the Orson Welles Mercury Wonder Show.
      They are currently available on an Upbeat CD. The tracks with Noone
      were the last he ever recorded. His replacement in the Ory Band was
      Wade Whaley and, in the show following Noone's death, they performed
      a very moving Blues For Jimmy.
      Robert Greenwood.
    • contijoch
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2004
        According with my discography, Mutt's Blues is from a broadcast in Los
        Angeles, 15 or 29 march 1944
        and was issued in Jazz Society 558 (a LP). Other title played in these dates
        was Weary Blues

        Mutt Carey, tp, Kid Ory, tb; Jimmie Noone, cl; Buster Wilson, p; Bud Scott,
        g; Ed Garland, b; Zutty Singleton, dr.

        Luis Contijoch

        I don't know much about this record on the Carousel label (2501). I don't

        know when it was recorded or where but it's a damn fine example of New

        Orleans Jazz. If anybody can clue me in that would be cool. I'm guessing

        1943 or 1944. Jimmie Noone died in April of 1944. There seems to be some

        applause at the begining of "High Society" so maybe it's from Orson Welles'

        radio show.