Jimmie Noone With Kid Ory's Creole Orchestra - 2 Damn Fine Tunes Added

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2004
      I don't know much about this record on the Carousel label (2501). I don't
      know when it was recorded or where but it's a damn fine example of New
      Orleans Jazz. If anybody can clue me in that would be cool. I'm guessing
      1943 or 1944. Jimmie Noone died in April of 1944. There seems to be some
      applause at the begining of "High Society" so maybe it's from Orson Welles'
      radio show.

      Mutt's Blues
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/ory/MuttsBlues.ram
      There's a lot of great playing on this song like Ed Garland's bowed bass
      parts, Ory's trombone, and Noone's clarinet, Bud Scott's guitar, Mutt Cary's
      trumpet. All in all it's great New Orleans style blues performance

      High Society
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/ory/HighSociety-carousel.ram
      This version of High Society is so much better than the one I uploaded
      earlier. Noone's solo is pretty interesting.

      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com
    • robertgreenwood_54uk
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2004
        These tracks are airchecks from the Orson Welles Mercury Wonder Show.
        They are currently available on an Upbeat CD. The tracks with Noone
        were the last he ever recorded. His replacement in the Ory Band was
        Wade Whaley and, in the show following Noone's death, they performed
        a very moving Blues For Jimmy.
        Robert Greenwood.
      • contijoch
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 18, 2004
          According with my discography, Mutt's Blues is from a broadcast in Los
          Angeles, 15 or 29 march 1944
          and was issued in Jazz Society 558 (a LP). Other title played in these dates
          was Weary Blues

          Mutt Carey, tp, Kid Ory, tb; Jimmie Noone, cl; Buster Wilson, p; Bud Scott,
          g; Ed Garland, b; Zutty Singleton, dr.

          Luis Contijoch