Teddy Weatherford (& orphan tracks) CD reissues?

  • ikey100
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2006
      Can anyone tell me if there are any CD reissues of Teddy
      Weatherford's solo & band recordings available now? I see the
      occasional old LP reissue on Ebay, but would prefer CD, especially
      if it included other relevant things like performances by Cricket
      Smith and Cedric West. It seems that there would easily be enough
      for a full CD.

      A related question for a possible new thread: what tracks from
      isolated sessions, too small for a full CD, that still deserve
      reissue? I was just reminded of this when I saw that HEP have
      released a CD with the Eddie Durham and Pete Brown recordings that
      I've wanted, but which each were sessions with only a few tracks.
      These sit on my reissue wishlist alongside full length recordings,
      but with an orphan status due to their small amount of material.
      Likely some have been reissued and I wasn't aware of it; examples
      include Emmett Mathews' 1936 sessions, Gene Sedric's Honeybears
      session (besides "Wail of the Scromph") and Leonard Ware's 1947
      session. I realize that many older titles (e.g. Harry Oxley's Post
      Lodge Orchestra, four 1924 titles, one reissued) may simply be
      unreisssued due to scarcity of source material. The RHJA is helpful
      in hearing some of these, for which I thank Scott Alexander and the
      other contributors greatly. But I just thought I'd ask if others
      have some titles/sessions in mind that have become "orphaned" in
      reissue?

      Regards, Warren
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15, 2006
        on 15/3/06 16:16, ikey100 at wlmoorman3@... wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me if there are any CD reissues of Teddy
        > Weatherford's solo & band recordings available now?

        The piano solos (Paris & Calcutta) and two other Calcutta recordings were on
        Jazz Piano 1925-1944, Jazz-Time 253 626-2, but this 1991 French EMI CD
        lasted only until the accountants noticed it had slipped through the net. It
        might be worth looking for though.

        I'm not aware of any current CDs.

        A complete reissue of the Indian recordings is very unlikely since most of
        them are pretty dreary and all are fabulously rare. They were tiny pressing
        runs aimed at a small group of expats and all the masters were long ago
        destroyed to make room for Bollywood heroes and heroines. If you want to
        hear the best I should go after Harlequin's Jazz & Hot Dance In India LP,
        because it could be a long wait otherwise. This is mainly devoted to
        Weatherford and the related Reuben Solomon band but also has the Crickett
        Smith Indian Rex.

        These would be an ideal project for Jazz Oracle!

      • spacelights
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 16, 2006
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "ikey100" <wlmoorman3@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone tell me if there are any CD reissues of Teddy
          > Weatherford's solo & band recordings available now?

          "Someday Sweetheart," from a 1923 session with Wade's Moulin Rouge
          Orchestra, is on 'Eddie South 1923-1937' (Classics), but this seems to
          be out of print. 'Mobile Blues' (same date, but not on the Classics
          CD) appears in 2 takes on Biograph LP 'Chicago Jazz 1923-1929'
          (BLP-12005). The Erskine Tate session is complete on 'New Orleans
          Stomp - Johnny Dodds 1926-27' (Frog).

          Regards,

          John