Greetings and Question for Scott

  • Robert Groth
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2004
      First let me offer my congratulations on expanding your invaluably
      resourceful web site to a forum for moldy figs and hard core
      collectors such as myself, and all who fully appreciate America's
      most original and ultimately influential art form.

      As, I am sure, most, if not all, of the 27 or so current members of
      the group are aware: RedHotJazz covers the most relevant and
      innovative jazz bands of both the pre and post-acoustic recording
      era and are all "Rust-worthy" with respect to hot jazz, both in
      terms of arrangements and outstanding solos by both the most
      prominent and celebrated names in jazz along with the more obscure,
      but no less outstanding, musicians of the less frequently recorded
      territory bands across the great divide. I myself am quite partial
      to the hot territory ensembles and ascribe to the Richard Sudhalter
      school of thinking with respect to white musicians and their
      contribution to jazz. Needless to say, I was more than satisfied
      when I first accessed the pages (replete with photographs and liner
      notes) of two of my favorite bands: Warner's Seven Aces and the
      Georgia Melodians.

      There is only one thing that concerns me, which brings me to my
      initial inquiry. There are a small number of titles listed that
      have been excluded in terms of being accessible for download or
      listening purposes (i.e., Teapot Dome Blues and Wait'll You See My
      Gal by the Georgia Melodians). Is this due to the fact that these
      particular recordings are not yet available for download or have
      they been deemed "not jazzworthy" in the Rustian sense?

      My most instinctual assumption would be the former, being that your
      site is an ever expanding "work in progress." Anyway, I just
      thought I'd throw that out there. Keep up the good work!!
    • Scott Alexander
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 24, 2004
        Yes, the Red Hot Jazz Archive is an ever expanding "work in progress."

        When I put a discography of a band up on the Red Hot Jazz archive it my
        intention to try and track down all the songs on the page. I don't try to
        seperate out the "jazz worthy" songs from the waltzes and schmaltz. I'll let
        you folks decide what is what.

        If there are bands that you feel are missing from the site please let me
        know.

        I'm always trying to fill in the blanks so if you can provide missing songs
        and information please contact me off-list.

        Scott Alexander
        The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        www.redhotjazz.com