Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Any Preer

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
      on 8/3/06 23:18, ikey100 at wlmoorman3@... wrote:

      > Thank you, Howard, informative as usual! So I take it there's no
      > relation to Andy Preer then?

      I don't know any biography of Andy Preer beyond what can be deduced from
      discographies (which is not much!). So I'm not expressing an opinion.

    • Prof_Hi_Jinx
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2006
        AFAIK, she is the Evelyn Preer who was living at 4514 (South) Calumet,
        Chicago in 1920 with her husband, Frank Preer. He was 34, born Kansas; she
        was 23, born Mississippi.

        Also living with them were Frank's mother-in-law, Blanche Javers (53, born
        Texas), his brother-in-law Milton Brooks (born Washington, 40), and his
        sister-in-law, Ernestine Brooks (33, born Mississippi)

        This ties in with the family of Price Javers, living in Warren County, MS in
        1900. Price was aged 32, his wife Blanche was born in 1868, and their
        children were Ernesteen (sic: 12), Lucien (11), Florance (sic: 7) and
        Everline (sic: 4, born July 1895).

        I haven't found Evelyn listed as Thompson in the 1930 Census.

        To summarize, I think Evelyn was born Javers in July 1895, married Frank
        Preer before 1920, married Edward Thompson in 1924 and died in 1932.

        Andy Preer reportedly died in May 1927. He may have been the rich black
        restaurateur Andrew Preer, born about 1873, who was living in Chicago in
        1920.

        There is mention of a 1925 recording by Andy Preer at:

        http://bigbandtranscriptions.com/1920s.htm

        But it seems that, if he and Evelyn were related, it would have been through
        marriage, not blood.

        Bob