Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Andy Preer answer (& Evelyn Preer question)

  • Donovan Barbara
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
      very cool! thanks mightily!
    • ikey100
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
        Thank you, Howard, informative as usual! So I take it there's no
        relation to Andy Preer then? I've seen Evelyn Preer in a Michaux
        film, and heard her jazz vocal records, but I didn't know
        about "Blonde Venus". Even if the other sides are purely popular
        material, they may have some listening worth, as she seemed to have
        a pleasant and engaging style.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@...>
        wrote:

        > on 8/3/06 19:49, ikey100 at wlmoorman3@... wrote:
        >
        > > I understand that there is
        > > more to her overall discography; can anyone tell me about more of
        > > her recordings than just those listed in Rust? Or any other
        > > biographical or career information on Evelyn Preer?
        >

        > b Mississippi 26 July 1896; died 18 November 1932
        >
        > She was mainly an actress, successively with the Lafayette Players
        and the
        > Ethiopian Art Players.
        >
        > She married actor Edward Thompson in 1924 and Race Vocalions by
        Evelyn
        > Thompson are by her, though Rust 6 is still cautious about this.
        >
        > She appeared in a succession of Oscar Micheaux films and also with
        Marlene
        > Dietrich in Blonde Venus.
        >
        > Rust 3 contains all her recordings (divided between Preer and
        Thompson).

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
          on 8/3/06 23:18, ikey100 at wlmoorman3@... wrote:

          > Thank you, Howard, informative as usual! So I take it there's no
          > relation to Andy Preer then?

          I don't know any biography of Andy Preer beyond what can be deduced from
          discographies (which is not much!). So I'm not expressing an opinion.

        • Prof_Hi_Jinx
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9, 2006
            AFAIK, she is the Evelyn Preer who was living at 4514 (South) Calumet,
            Chicago in 1920 with her husband, Frank Preer. He was 34, born Kansas; she
            was 23, born Mississippi.

            Also living with them were Frank's mother-in-law, Blanche Javers (53, born
            Texas), his brother-in-law Milton Brooks (born Washington, 40), and his
            sister-in-law, Ernestine Brooks (33, born Mississippi)

            This ties in with the family of Price Javers, living in Warren County, MS in
            1900. Price was aged 32, his wife Blanche was born in 1868, and their
            children were Ernesteen (sic: 12), Lucien (11), Florance (sic: 7) and
            Everline (sic: 4, born July 1895).

            I haven't found Evelyn listed as Thompson in the 1930 Census.

            To summarize, I think Evelyn was born Javers in July 1895, married Frank
            Preer before 1920, married Edward Thompson in 1924 and died in 1932.

            Andy Preer reportedly died in May 1927. He may have been the rich black
            restaurateur Andrew Preer, born about 1873, who was living in Chicago in
            1920.

            There is mention of a 1925 recording by Andy Preer at:

            http://bigbandtranscriptions.com/1920s.htm

            But it seems that, if he and Evelyn were related, it would have been through
            marriage, not blood.

            Bob