Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Andy Preer answer (& Evelyn Preer question)

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8 1:24 PM
      on 8/3/06 19:49, ikey100 at wlmoorman3@... wrote:

      > I understand that there is
      > more to her overall discography; can anyone tell me about more of
      > her recordings than just those listed in Rust? Or any other
      > biographical or career information on Evelyn Preer?

      b Mississippi 26 July 1896; died 18 November 1932

      She was mainly an actress, successively with the Lafayette Players and the
      Ethiopian Art Players.

      She married actor Edward Thompson in 1924 and Race Vocalions by Evelyn
      Thompson are by her, though Rust 6 is still cautious about this.

      She appeared in a succession of Oscar Micheaux films and also with Marlene
      Dietrich in Blonde Venus.

      Rust 3 contains all her recordings (divided between Preer and Thompson).
      Some of the ones he no longer lists are of very slight jazz interest as
      normally understood.

      Rust still seems to think that her real name was Peer but I've no idea why!

      It shouldn't be too difficuly to find an obituary.

    • Donovan Barbara
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8 3:15 PM
        very cool! thanks mightily!
      • ikey100
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8 3:18 PM
          Thank you, Howard, informative as usual! So I take it there's no
          relation to Andy Preer then? I've seen Evelyn Preer in a Michaux
          film, and heard her jazz vocal records, but I didn't know
          about "Blonde Venus". Even if the other sides are purely popular
          material, they may have some listening worth, as she seemed to have
          a pleasant and engaging style.

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@...>

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8 3:21 PM
            on 8/3/06 23:18, ikey100 at wlmoorman3@... wrote:

            > Thank you, Howard, informative as usual! So I take it there's no
            > relation to Andy Preer then?

            I don't know any biography of Andy Preer beyond what can be deduced from
            discographies (which is not much!). So I'm not expressing an opinion.

          • Prof_Hi_Jinx
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9 1:42 AM
              AFAIK, she is the Evelyn Preer who was living at 4514 (South) Calumet,
              Chicago in 1920 with her husband, Frank Preer. He was 34, born Kansas; she
              was 23, born Mississippi.

              Also living with them were Frank's mother-in-law, Blanche Javers (53, born
              Texas), his brother-in-law Milton Brooks (born Washington, 40), and his
              sister-in-law, Ernestine Brooks (33, born Mississippi)

              This ties in with the family of Price Javers, living in Warren County, MS in
              1900. Price was aged 32, his wife Blanche was born in 1868, and their
              children were Ernesteen (sic: 12), Lucien (11), Florance (sic: 7) and
              Everline (sic: 4, born July 1895).

              I haven't found Evelyn listed as Thompson in the 1930 Census.

              To summarize, I think Evelyn was born Javers in July 1895, married Frank
              Preer before 1920, married Edward Thompson in 1924 and died in 1932.

              Andy Preer reportedly died in May 1927. He may have been the rich black
              restaurateur Andrew Preer, born about 1873, who was living in Chicago in
              1920.

              There is mention of a 1925 recording by Andy Preer at:

              http://bigbandtranscriptions.com/1920s.htm

              But it seems that, if he and Evelyn were related, it would have been through
              marriage, not blood.

              Bob