Re: Andy Preer answer (& Evelyn Preer question)

  • ikey100
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "HiDonovan" <hidonovan@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know anything about Andy Preer? I've got one track of
      his called 'I found a new baby', but that is all i've been able to
      find.

      Andy Preer led a band from St. Louis that went to New York and
      became the Cotton Club's house band. After Preer's premature death,
      the band became the Missourians, which evolved into the Cab Calloway
      band. I believe that "I've Found A New Baby" is the only Andy Preer
      track ever released, but have to check Rust when I get home to be
      sure.

      On this subject, can anyone tell me if singer/actress Evelyn Preer
      was related to Andy Preer? She recorded in the twenties with
      Ellington, Nichols, Mole, and other notables, appeared on vaudeville
      and Broadway stages, and in silent films by the pioneer black
      filmmaker Oscar Micheaux (mid 1920's). She also died prematurely, in
      the early 1930's.

      I find the few Evelyn Preer recordings that I've heard to be
      delightful. Rust only lists the titles with accompaniments judged to
      have jazz interest, however, and consequently these are the ones
      reissued by Document that I've heard. I understand that there is
      more to her overall discography; can anyone tell me about more of
      her recordings than just those listed in Rust? Or any other
      biographical or career information on Evelyn Preer?
      Thanks,
      Warren
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
        on 8/3/06 19:49, ikey100 at wlmoorman3@... wrote:

        > I understand that there is
        > more to her overall discography; can anyone tell me about more of
        > her recordings than just those listed in Rust? Or any other
        > biographical or career information on Evelyn Preer?

        b Mississippi 26 July 1896; died 18 November 1932

        She was mainly an actress, successively with the Lafayette Players and the
        Ethiopian Art Players.

        She married actor Edward Thompson in 1924 and Race Vocalions by Evelyn
        Thompson are by her, though Rust 6 is still cautious about this.

        She appeared in a succession of Oscar Micheaux films and also with Marlene
        Dietrich in Blonde Venus.

        Rust 3 contains all her recordings (divided between Preer and Thompson).
        Some of the ones he no longer lists are of very slight jazz interest as
        normally understood.

        Rust still seems to think that her real name was Peer but I've no idea why!

        It shouldn't be too difficuly to find an obituary.

      • Donovan Barbara
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
          very cool! thanks mightily!
        • ikey100
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
            Thank you, Howard, informative as usual! So I take it there's no
            relation to Andy Preer then? I've seen Evelyn Preer in a Michaux
            film, and heard her jazz vocal records, but I didn't know
            about "Blonde Venus". Even if the other sides are purely popular
            material, they may have some listening worth, as she seemed to have
            a pleasant and engaging style.

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@...>

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
              on 8/3/06 23:18, ikey100 at wlmoorman3@... wrote:

              > Thank you, Howard, informative as usual! So I take it there's no
              > relation to Andy Preer then?

              I don't know any biography of Andy Preer beyond what can be deduced from
              discographies (which is not much!). So I'm not expressing an opinion.

            • Prof_Hi_Jinx
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 9, 2006
                AFAIK, she is the Evelyn Preer who was living at 4514 (South) Calumet,
                Chicago in 1920 with her husband, Frank Preer. He was 34, born Kansas; she
                was 23, born Mississippi.

                Also living with them were Frank's mother-in-law, Blanche Javers (53, born
                Texas), his brother-in-law Milton Brooks (born Washington, 40), and his
                sister-in-law, Ernestine Brooks (33, born Mississippi)

                This ties in with the family of Price Javers, living in Warren County, MS in
                1900. Price was aged 32, his wife Blanche was born in 1868, and their
                children were Ernesteen (sic: 12), Lucien (11), Florance (sic: 7) and
                Everline (sic: 4, born July 1895).

                I haven't found Evelyn listed as Thompson in the 1930 Census.

                To summarize, I think Evelyn was born Javers in July 1895, married Frank
                Preer before 1920, married Edward Thompson in 1924 and died in 1932.

                Andy Preer reportedly died in May 1927. He may have been the rich black
                restaurateur Andrew Preer, born about 1873, who was living in Chicago in
                1920.

                There is mention of a 1925 recording by Andy Preer at:

                http://bigbandtranscriptions.com/1920s.htm

                But it seems that, if he and Evelyn were related, it would have been through
                marriage, not blood.

                Bob