RE: [RedHotJazz] Another new person on the list

  • dwlit@cpcug.org
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
      If you have a spreadsheet or database program, the track catalog databases
      of my CD collection could help with the info aspect. Be happy to send .zip
      files to you.

      --Sheik
      http://americanmusiccaravan.com

      > HiDonovan wrote:
      >
      >> I collect jazz records from the early 20's,
      >> 's and 40's. ... My most recent endeavor
      >> (about the last 4 years) has been to rip
      >> 78's that i've collected over the years
      >> into mp3's. I've got about 700+ tracks,
      >> some of which I haven't been able to find
      >> any information about.
      >
      > There are folks on the Dixielsnd Jazz Mailing List who could probably
      > identify most if not all of those tracks for you, including recording
      > dates,
      > personnel, etc. If you have an interest in jazz of that era, I recommend
      > that you subscribe.
      >
      > The DJML is housed at:

      > You can subscribe at that page.
      >
      > Jim O'Briant
      > Tuba
      > Gilroy, CA
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • ikey100
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "HiDonovan" <hidonovan@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know anything about Andy Preer? I've got one track of
        his called 'I found a new baby', but that is all i've been able to
        find.

        Andy Preer led a band from St. Louis that went to New York and
        became the Cotton Club's house band. After Preer's premature death,
        the band became the Missourians, which evolved into the Cab Calloway
        band. I believe that "I've Found A New Baby" is the only Andy Preer
        track ever released, but have to check Rust when I get home to be
        sure.

        On this subject, can anyone tell me if singer/actress Evelyn Preer
        was related to Andy Preer? She recorded in the twenties with
        Ellington, Nichols, Mole, and other notables, appeared on vaudeville
        and Broadway stages, and in silent films by the pioneer black
        filmmaker Oscar Micheaux (mid 1920's). She also died prematurely, in
        the early 1930's.

        I find the few Evelyn Preer recordings that I've heard to be
        delightful. Rust only lists the titles with accompaniments judged to
        have jazz interest, however, and consequently these are the ones
        reissued by Document that I've heard. I understand that there is
        more to her overall discography; can anyone tell me about more of
        her recordings than just those listed in Rust? Or any other
        biographical or career information on Evelyn Preer?
        Thanks,
        Warren
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
          on 8/3/06 19:49, ikey100 at wlmoorman3@... wrote:

          > I understand that there is
          > more to her overall discography; can anyone tell me about more of
          > her recordings than just those listed in Rust? Or any other
          > biographical or career information on Evelyn Preer?

          b Mississippi 26 July 1896; died 18 November 1932

          She was mainly an actress, successively with the Lafayette Players and the
          Ethiopian Art Players.

          She married actor Edward Thompson in 1924 and Race Vocalions by Evelyn
          Thompson are by her, though Rust 6 is still cautious about this.

          She appeared in a succession of Oscar Micheaux films and also with Marlene
          Dietrich in Blonde Venus.

          Rust 3 contains all her recordings (divided between Preer and Thompson).
          Some of the ones he no longer lists are of very slight jazz interest as
          normally understood.

          Rust still seems to think that her real name was Peer but I've no idea why!

          It shouldn't be too difficuly to find an obituary.

        • Donovan Barbara
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
            very cool! thanks mightily!
          • ikey100
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
              Thank you, Howard, informative as usual! So I take it there's no
              relation to Andy Preer then? I've seen Evelyn Preer in a Michaux
              film, and heard her jazz vocal records, but I didn't know
              about "Blonde Venus". Even if the other sides are purely popular
              material, they may have some listening worth, as she seemed to have
              a pleasant and engaging style.

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@...>

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
                on 8/3/06 23:18, ikey100 at wlmoorman3@... wrote:

                > Thank you, Howard, informative as usual! So I take it there's no
                > relation to Andy Preer then?

                I don't know any biography of Andy Preer beyond what can be deduced from
                discographies (which is not much!). So I'm not expressing an opinion.

              • Prof_Hi_Jinx
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 9, 2006
                  AFAIK, she is the Evelyn Preer who was living at 4514 (South) Calumet,
                  Chicago in 1920 with her husband, Frank Preer. He was 34, born Kansas; she
                  was 23, born Mississippi.

                  Also living with them were Frank's mother-in-law, Blanche Javers (53, born
                  Texas), his brother-in-law Milton Brooks (born Washington, 40), and his
                  sister-in-law, Ernestine Brooks (33, born Mississippi)

                  This ties in with the family of Price Javers, living in Warren County, MS in
                  1900. Price was aged 32, his wife Blanche was born in 1868, and their
                  children were Ernesteen (sic: 12), Lucien (11), Florance (sic: 7) and
                  Everline (sic: 4, born July 1895).

                  I haven't found Evelyn listed as Thompson in the 1930 Census.

                  To summarize, I think Evelyn was born Javers in July 1895, married Frank
                  Preer before 1920, married Edward Thompson in 1924 and died in 1932.

                  Andy Preer reportedly died in May 1927. He may have been the rich black
                  restaurateur Andrew Preer, born about 1873, who was living in Chicago in
                  1920.

                  There is mention of a 1925 recording by Andy Preer at:

                  http://bigbandtranscriptions.com/1920s.htm

                  But it seems that, if he and Evelyn were related, it would have been through
                  marriage, not blood.

                  Bob