Another new person on the list

  • HiDonovan
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
      It's so great to be part of this board! I collect jazz records from
      the early 20's, 30's and 40's. I am only 39, but I grew up listening
      to this music because of my grandfather and grandmother. when I was
      10, I knew who Bennie Moten, Cow Cow Davenport, Jelly Roll Morton and
      Kid Ory were while everyone else was listening to rock and roll.

      My most recent endeavor (about the last 4 years) has been to rip 78's
      that i've collected over the years into mp3's. I've got about 700+
      tracks, some of which I haven't been able to find any information about.

      Does anyone know anything about Andy Preer? i've got one track of his
      called 'I found a new baby', but that is all i've been able to find.

      also have an extensive collection of the Original Dixieland Jazz Band.
      All fun stuff, indeed!
    • Jim O'Briant
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
        HiDonovan wrote:

        > I collect jazz records from the early 20's,
        > 's and 40's. ... My most recent endeavor
        > (about the last 4 years) has been to rip
        > 78's that i've collected over the years
        > into mp3's. I've got about 700+ tracks,
        > some of which I haven't been able to find
        > any information about.

        There are folks on the Dixielsnd Jazz Mailing List who could probably
        identify most if not all of those tracks for you, including recording dates,
        personnel, etc. If you have an interest in jazz of that era, I recommend
        that you subscribe.

        The DJML is housed at:

        You can subscribe at that page.

        Jim O'Briant
        Tuba
        Gilroy, CA
      • dwlit@cpcug.org
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
          If you have a spreadsheet or database program, the track catalog databases
          of my CD collection could help with the info aspect. Be happy to send .zip
          files to you.

          --Sheik
          http://americanmusiccaravan.com

          > HiDonovan wrote:
          >
          >> I collect jazz records from the early 20's,
          >> 's and 40's. ... My most recent endeavor
          >> (about the last 4 years) has been to rip
          >> 78's that i've collected over the years
          >> into mp3's. I've got about 700+ tracks,
          >> some of which I haven't been able to find
          >> any information about.
          >
          > There are folks on the Dixielsnd Jazz Mailing List who could probably
          > identify most if not all of those tracks for you, including recording
          > dates,
          > personnel, etc. If you have an interest in jazz of that era, I recommend
          > that you subscribe.
          >
          > The DJML is housed at:

          > You can subscribe at that page.
          >
          > Jim O'Briant
          > Tuba
          > Gilroy, CA
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • ikey100
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "HiDonovan" <hidonovan@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know anything about Andy Preer? I've got one track of
            his called 'I found a new baby', but that is all i've been able to
            find.

            Andy Preer led a band from St. Louis that went to New York and
            became the Cotton Club's house band. After Preer's premature death,
            the band became the Missourians, which evolved into the Cab Calloway
            band. I believe that "I've Found A New Baby" is the only Andy Preer
            track ever released, but have to check Rust when I get home to be
            sure.

            On this subject, can anyone tell me if singer/actress Evelyn Preer
            was related to Andy Preer? She recorded in the twenties with
            Ellington, Nichols, Mole, and other notables, appeared on vaudeville
            and Broadway stages, and in silent films by the pioneer black
            filmmaker Oscar Micheaux (mid 1920's). She also died prematurely, in
            the early 1930's.

            I find the few Evelyn Preer recordings that I've heard to be
            delightful. Rust only lists the titles with accompaniments judged to
            have jazz interest, however, and consequently these are the ones
            reissued by Document that I've heard. I understand that there is
            more to her overall discography; can anyone tell me about more of
            her recordings than just those listed in Rust? Or any other
            biographical or career information on Evelyn Preer?
            Thanks,
            Warren
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
              on 8/3/06 19:49, ikey100 at wlmoorman3@... wrote:

              > I understand that there is
              > more to her overall discography; can anyone tell me about more of
              > her recordings than just those listed in Rust? Or any other
              > biographical or career information on Evelyn Preer?

              b Mississippi 26 July 1896; died 18 November 1932

              She was mainly an actress, successively with the Lafayette Players and the
              Ethiopian Art Players.

              She married actor Edward Thompson in 1924 and Race Vocalions by Evelyn
              Thompson are by her, though Rust 6 is still cautious about this.

              She appeared in a succession of Oscar Micheaux films and also with Marlene
              Dietrich in Blonde Venus.

              Rust 3 contains all her recordings (divided between Preer and Thompson).
              Some of the ones he no longer lists are of very slight jazz interest as
              normally understood.

              Rust still seems to think that her real name was Peer but I've no idea why!

              It shouldn't be too difficuly to find an obituary.

            • Donovan Barbara
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
                very cool! thanks mightily!
              • ikey100
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
                  Thank you, Howard, informative as usual! So I take it there's no
                  relation to Andy Preer then? I've seen Evelyn Preer in a Michaux
                  film, and heard her jazz vocal records, but I didn't know
                  about "Blonde Venus". Even if the other sides are purely popular
                  material, they may have some listening worth, as she seemed to have
                  a pleasant and engaging style.

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@...>

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
                    on 8/3/06 23:18, ikey100 at wlmoorman3@... wrote:

                    > Thank you, Howard, informative as usual! So I take it there's no
                    > relation to Andy Preer then?

                    I don't know any biography of Andy Preer beyond what can be deduced from
                    discographies (which is not much!). So I'm not expressing an opinion.

                  • Prof_Hi_Jinx
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 9, 2006
                      AFAIK, she is the Evelyn Preer who was living at 4514 (South) Calumet,
                      Chicago in 1920 with her husband, Frank Preer. He was 34, born Kansas; she
                      was 23, born Mississippi.

                      Also living with them were Frank's mother-in-law, Blanche Javers (53, born
                      Texas), his brother-in-law Milton Brooks (born Washington, 40), and his
                      sister-in-law, Ernestine Brooks (33, born Mississippi)

                      This ties in with the family of Price Javers, living in Warren County, MS in
                      1900. Price was aged 32, his wife Blanche was born in 1868, and their
                      children were Ernesteen (sic: 12), Lucien (11), Florance (sic: 7) and
                      Everline (sic: 4, born July 1895).

                      I haven't found Evelyn listed as Thompson in the 1930 Census.

                      To summarize, I think Evelyn was born Javers in July 1895, married Frank
                      Preer before 1920, married Edward Thompson in 1924 and died in 1932.

                      Andy Preer reportedly died in May 1927. He may have been the rich black
                      restaurateur Andrew Preer, born about 1873, who was living in Chicago in
                      1920.

                      There is mention of a 1925 recording by Andy Preer at:

                      http://bigbandtranscriptions.com/1920s.htm

                      But it seems that, if he and Evelyn were related, it would have been through
                      marriage, not blood.

                      Bob