78s

  • pete@eastfield.demon.co.uk
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2006
      Hi

      I have come across a bunch of jazz 78s - a few vogue jazz titles, and odd things like vocalion, tempo, good time jazz etc,
      so -are they collectable, do they have any value, and what's the cheapest way of playing them?

      pete
    • jm1929joe
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, pete@... wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I have come across a bunch of jazz 78s - a few vogue jazz titles,
        and odd things like vocalion, tempo, good time jazz etc,
        > so -are they collectable, do they have any value, and what's the
        cheapest way of playing them?

        > pete

        Hi Pete.. I doubt they would be valuable. I still find 78's from the
        20's & 30's at garage & estate sales for very little; usually a
        quarter or so. I keep my eyes open for old record players with a 78
        needle and buy them whenever I can. There are still a few out there.
        I paid three bucks for an old portable a few years ago. It's noisy but
        I like the music so much I can tune out the noise. Good luck. Joe
      • Ron L'Herault
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
          Some of the Vogue picture records are valuable, although prices have dropped
          from a few years ago. Value depends on rarity, condition and who is on
          them.

          Best way to play 78s is with a mono cartridge, or with a stereo cartridge
          that has been rewired to respond only to lateral motion. Keep an eye out
          for record players at flea markets and such. If it goes round and does not
          hum loud, it is probably OK. If it hums loud or does not go around then it
          will require a bit more work to get it in shape.

          I'm in New England and have a couple of machines that would suit your needs.

          Ron L

          > I have come across a bunch of jazz 78s - a few vogue jazz titles,
          and odd things like vocalion, tempo, good time jazz etc,
          > so -are they collectable, do they have any value, and what's the
          cheapest way of playing them?

          > pete

          Hi Pete.. I doubt they would be valuable. I still find 78's from the
          20's & 30's at garage & estate sales for very little; usually a
          quarter or so. I keep my eyes open for old record players with a 78
          needle and buy them whenever I can. There are still a few out there.
          I paid three bucks for an old portable a few years ago. It's noisy but
          I like the music so much I can tune out the noise. Good luck. Joe

          Yahoo! Groups Links