Re: [RedHotJazz] availability of Collector's Classics CDs

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
      Unfortunately, these are not the same as *Collector's* Classics, which is a Danish label produced by Karl-Emil Knudsen of Storyville. The "Collector's Classics" were transferred by John RT Davies and thus very desirable. The "Classics" series used virtually any source that was available, mainly LPs, but also cassette dubs of 78s. Of course, they might have used good LPs or CDs as their source, e.g. Collector's Classics CDs or Swaggie LPs. Without having heard them, there's no way of knowing.

      > Gerard,
      > There is a French label "Classics" distribution musidisc that has 5 Jimmie Noone cd's
      > cd 604 covering the '23
      > cd 611 '21
      > cd 632 '29-'30
      > cd 641 '30-'34
      > cd 651 '35-'40
      >
      > Idem Mingy Manone
      > cd 774 '27-'34
      > cd 798 '34-'35
      > cd 828 '35-'36
      > cd 849 '36
      > cd 887 '36-'37
      > cd 952 '37-'38
      >
      > If that could be of any help but no web address. Alas no Junie Cobb found in their catalogue. Have a try at Redlick.com
      >
      > Cheers
      > Wouter M.

    • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
        Thanks Wouter, but Michael has put his finger on precisely the reason
        why I'm hoping to find copies of the Davies-remastered "Collector's
        Classics" CDs rather than the similar items produced by the
        French "Classics" label. I have several discs from both these
        companies for the same artists and there's no comparison in terms of
        sound quality -- Davies was simply the best.

        Gerard

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
        wrote:

        > Unfortunately, these are not the same as *Collector's* Classics,
        which is a Danish label produced by Karl-Emil Knudsen of Storyville.
        The "Collector's Classics" were transferred by John RT Davies and
        thus very desirable. The "Classics" series used virtually any source
        that was available, mainly LPs, but also cassette dubs of 78s. Of
        course, they might have used good LPs or CDs as their source, e.g.
        Collector's Classics CDs or Swaggie LPs. Without having heard them,
        there's no way of knowing.

        > RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com schrieb am 05.02.06 12:37:22:
        > >
        > > Gerard,
        > > There is a French label "Classics" distribution musidisc that has
        5 Jimmie Noone cd's
        > > cd 604 covering the '23
        > > cd 611 '21
        > > cd 632 '29-'30
        > > cd 641 '30-'34
        > > cd 651 '35-'40
        > >
        > > Idem Mingy Manone
        > > cd 774 '27-'34
        > > cd 798 '34-'35
        > > cd 828 '35-'36
        > > cd 849 '36
        > > cd 887 '36-'37
        > > cd 952 '37-'38
        > >
        > > If that could be of any help but no web address. Alas no Junie
        Cobb found in their catalogue. Have a try at Redlick.com

        > > Cheers
        > > Wouter M.

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Wouter MarĂ©chal

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
            Wouter:

            A reasonable sentiment and I appreciate your offering it. But I'll try
            for the "Collector's Classics" before settling for the
            French "Classics" (and nothing against the French!).

            Gerard

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Wouter Maréchal
            <wouter.marechal@...> wrote:

            > Gerard,
            > I fully agree and I'm aware of John R T Davies great work but I only
            thought better a Manone/Noone on the French Classic label than no
            Manone/Noone at all.

            > Cheers
            > Wouter M.
          • spacelights
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
              Eleven of the Junie Cobb tracks appeared on an LP called "Chicago In The
              20'ies" (sic) (Collector's Classics, CC 47). The sound quality is comparable to
              the CD you mention. Was this label connected to the Danish Collector's
              Classics? The LP sleeve has no production credits or country of origin.

              John

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                on 6/2/06 21:58, spacelights at spacelights@... wrote:

                > Eleven of the Junie Cobb tracks appeared on an LP called "Chicago In The
                > 20'ies" (sic) (Collector's Classics, CC 47). The sound quality is comparable
                > the CD you mention. Was this label connected to the Danish Collector's
                > Classics? The LP sleeve has no production credits or country of origin.

                From the same source, i.e. Karl Emil Knudsen, trading variously as
                Storyville Records and JazzMedia.