Re: [RedHotJazz] Ads for records in the New York Times

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2006
      on 4/2/06 20:04, Albert Haim at alberthaim@... wrote:

      > I found lots of ads for records in the New York Times. Here is one
      > general ad for Columbia records.
      >
      > http://bixbeiderbecke.com/raymiller/adcolumbiamay191923.JPG
      >
      > and one ad for a specific record by Ray Miller's band.
      >
      > http://bixbeiderbecke.com/raymiller/adbaambalinaapr281923.JPG
      >
      > Perhaps it is not too surprising that the New York Times carried
      > general ads (which include classical as well as popular records), but
      > the specific ad for one particular record -and a dance band recording
      > at that- is quite astonishing. I did not expect to find such ads in
      > the New York Times. Live and learn.

      Yes, I'm surprised too, but I'm not surprised that I hadn't registered them.
      They are not calendar material I think! Even the Nora Bayes one is quite
      pedestrian, so in a way everybody's right on this.

      I wonder why, if these are typical, adverts aimed at African-Americans were
      so much more imaginative, especially graphically. I certainly have no idea
      who the artists employed for them were but in case they will only have been
      working for hire. The publicity departments must have decided that that was
      the pitch that would sell records in that market.