Re: [RedHotJazz] availability of Collector's Classics CDs

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2006
      Gerard
      Collectors Classics are produced by Storyville (http://www.storyville-records.com), which has recently changed hands. They still list a few, including some at a special price, but not those you seek. During Karl-Emil Knudsen's lifetime, some Collector's Classics had made a move to his Nostalgia Arts label.

      There is a 4-CD "complete" set on Definitive, which knowing that label, might well be filched from CC. The big German mail order stores no longer carry the items you mention.

      Best

      > Some of the CDs on the "Collector's Classics" label seem to have become
      > unavailable. Specifically, I've been trying for months to locate "The
      > Junie Cobb Collection," "The Jimmie Noone Collection, vol. 1," and
      > the "Wingy Manone Collection, vol. 4". I've tried the specialty sites
      > (Worldsrecords, Venerablemusic, & Roots & Rhythm) to no avail, and not
      > surprisingly none of these CDs is available at the big music sites.
      > Nothing at Ebay either. The Noone CD is being offered on Amazon.com
      > for almost $40 and the Cobb for $80--but that's too rich for my blood.
      > Do any of our European friends know of any sites where I might obtain
      > these CDs? Townshend Records in England says no, and an order with
      > 101cd.com (also in England) has been languishing for weeks. Your help
      > would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Gerard Fitzpatrick

      Jetzt gratis testen! http://freemail.web.de/home/landingpad/?mc=021130
    • Wouter Maréchal
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
        Gerard,
        There is a French label "Classics" distribution musidisc that has 5 Jimmie Noone cd's
        cd 604 covering the '23
        cd 611 '21
        cd 632 '29-'30
        cd 641 '30-'34
        cd 651 '35-'40

        Idem Mingy Manone
        cd 774 '27-'34
        cd 798 '34-'35
        cd 828 '35-'36
        cd 849 '36
        cd 887 '36-'37
        cd 952 '37-'38

        If that could be of any help but no web address. Alas no Junie Cobb found in their catalogue. Have a try at Redlick.com

        Cheers
        Wouter M.

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
          Unfortunately, these are not the same as *Collector's* Classics, which is a Danish label produced by Karl-Emil Knudsen of Storyville. The "Collector's Classics" were transferred by John RT Davies and thus very desirable. The "Classics" series used virtually any source that was available, mainly LPs, but also cassette dubs of 78s. Of course, they might have used good LPs or CDs as their source, e.g. Collector's Classics CDs or Swaggie LPs. Without having heard them, there's no way of knowing.

          > Gerard,
          > There is a French label "Classics" distribution musidisc that has 5 Jimmie Noone cd's
          > cd 604 covering the '23
          > cd 611 '21
          > cd 632 '29-'30
          > cd 641 '30-'34
          > cd 651 '35-'40
          >
          > Idem Mingy Manone
          > cd 774 '27-'34
          > cd 798 '34-'35
          > cd 828 '35-'36
          > cd 849 '36
          > cd 887 '36-'37
          > cd 952 '37-'38
          >
          > If that could be of any help but no web address. Alas no Junie Cobb found in their catalogue. Have a try at Redlick.com
          >
          > Cheers
          > Wouter M.

        • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2006
            Thanks Wouter, but Michael has put his finger on precisely the reason
            why I'm hoping to find copies of the Davies-remastered "Collector's
            Classics" CDs rather than the similar items produced by the
            French "Classics" label. I have several discs from both these
            companies for the same artists and there's no comparison in terms of
            sound quality -- Davies was simply the best.

            Gerard

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
            wrote:

            > Unfortunately, these are not the same as *Collector's* Classics,
            which is a Danish label produced by Karl-Emil Knudsen of Storyville.
            The "Collector's Classics" were transferred by John RT Davies and
            thus very desirable. The "Classics" series used virtually any source
            that was available, mainly LPs, but also cassette dubs of 78s. Of
            course, they might have used good LPs or CDs as their source, e.g.
            Collector's Classics CDs or Swaggie LPs. Without having heard them,
            there's no way of knowing.

            > RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com schrieb am 05.02.06 12:37:22:
            > >
            > > Gerard,
            > > There is a French label "Classics" distribution musidisc that has
            5 Jimmie Noone cd's
            > > cd 604 covering the '23
            > > cd 611 '21
            > > cd 632 '29-'30
            > > cd 641 '30-'34
            > > cd 651 '35-'40
            > >
            > > Idem Mingy Manone
            > > cd 774 '27-'34
            > > cd 798 '34-'35
            > > cd 828 '35-'36
            > > cd 849 '36
            > > cd 887 '36-'37
            > > cd 952 '37-'38
            > >
            > > If that could be of any help but no web address. Alas no Junie
            Cobb found in their catalogue. Have a try at Redlick.com

            > > Cheers
            > > Wouter M.

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Wouter Maréchal

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                Wouter:

                A reasonable sentiment and I appreciate your offering it. But I'll try
                for the "Collector's Classics" before settling for the
                French "Classics" (and nothing against the French!).

                Gerard

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Wouter Maréchal
                <wouter.marechal@...> wrote:

                > Gerard,
                > I fully agree and I'm aware of John R T Davies great work but I only
                thought better a Manone/Noone on the French Classic label than no
                Manone/Noone at all.

                > Cheers
                > Wouter M.
              • spacelights
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                  Eleven of the Junie Cobb tracks appeared on an LP called "Chicago In The
                  20'ies" (sic) (Collector's Classics, CC 47). The sound quality is comparable to
                  the CD you mention. Was this label connected to the Danish Collector's
                  Classics? The LP sleeve has no production credits or country of origin.

                  John

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2006
                    on 6/2/06 21:58, spacelights at spacelights@... wrote:

                    > Eleven of the Junie Cobb tracks appeared on an LP called "Chicago In The
                    > 20'ies" (sic) (Collector's Classics, CC 47). The sound quality is comparable
                    > the CD you mention. Was this label connected to the Danish Collector's
                    > Classics? The LP sleeve has no production credits or country of origin.

                    From the same source, i.e. Karl Emil Knudsen, trading variously as
                    Storyville Records and JazzMedia.