Re: The Red Hot Jazz Archive's Tenth Anniversary

  • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2006
      I too want to congratulate and thank Scott Alexander and all those
      supporters of classic jazz who have helped him to provide the
      RedHotJazz site during the past decade. What's especially helpful
      about his site for novice fans like me is the availability of sound
      clips of entire songs rather than the 30-60 second clips available at
      some of the on-line music sites (indeed, when clips are available at
      all). When I first got interested in our kind of music, I wasn't
      familiar with most of the artists or their songs and thus wasn't sure
      which CDs I would like. Thanks to Scott's site, I rarely have to buy
      the proverbial pig-in-the-poke. I look forward to many more decades
      of RedHotJazz to come.

      Gerard Fitzpatrick

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

      > The Red Hot Jazz Archive first appeared on the Internet in February
      of
      > 1996. I'd like to thank all of you who have contributed to the site
      over
      > the years. It wouldn't have been what it is today without your help
      and
      > generosity. I'm amazed that I'm still working on the site after all
      > these years and I'm astounded at how large it has grown. I've
      certainly
      > had a good time learning about the history of early jazz and I hope
      you
      > have too.
      >
      > The site is a bit of a "white elephant" (see definition #1 -
      > http://www.tfd.com/white+elephant) but I hope to keep it going for
      > another ten years. We are blessed to live in a time where the
      invention
      > of the Internet has made it possible for us all to get together and
      > share something that we enjoy even though we are individuals
      scattered
      > around the globe. I fear we are leaving a golden era of the
      Internet's
      > history and heading for an era where corporations and governments
      will
      > seek to control everything that appears online, but until then,
      I'll do
      > my best to keep the site going because you know what? I thought I
      heard
      > Buddy Bolden say something ten years ago.
      >
      > Scott Alexander
      > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      > www.redhotjazz.com

    • Dennis Pereyra
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
        Scott,

        Let me add my congratulations on the tenth anniversary of
        the Red Hot Jazz web site. I have enjoyed the music on the site
        since I first found it on a web surfing session back in 1998. I
        thought that it was great that someone was sharing this wonderful
        music with others. While many contributors have been involved with
        this electronic encyclopedia of jazz and hot dance music, it is
        through Scott's efforts that the site is, and will continue to be,
        an outpost for the music of generations past which is as enjoyable
        and sprightly as ever, and as close as the click of a mouse.
        Therefore, I raise my glass of Cliquot Club to you, Scott, and wish
        you and the RHJA all the best for years to come!

        Dennis