Re: [RedHotJazz] The Red Hot Jazz Archive's Tenth Anniversary

  • rick bruhn
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
      scott

      this archive has become an important resource for my
      band and myself for the last few years. i can't
      really say that about very many sites. many, many
      thanks.

      rick

      --- Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive first appeared on the
      Internet in February of
      1996. I'd like to thank all of you who have
      contributed to the site over
      the years. It wouldn't have been what it is today
      without your help and
      generosity. I'm amazed that I'm still working on the
      site after all
      these years and I'm astounded at how large it has
      grown. I've certainly
      had a good time learning about the history of early
      jazz and I hope you
      have too.

      The site is a bit of a "white elephant" (see
      definition #1 -
      http://www.tfd.com/white+elephant) but I hope to keep
      it going for
      another ten years. We are blessed to live in a time
      where the invention
      of the Internet has made it possible for us all to get
      together and
      share something that we enjoy even though we are
      individuals scattered
      around the globe. I fear we are leaving a golden era
      of the Internet's
      history and heading for an era where corporations and
      governments will
      seek to control everything that appears online, but
      until then, I'll do
      my best to keep the site going because you know what?
      I thought I heard
      Buddy Bolden say something ten years ago.

      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com

      Genres
      of music Jazz music
      Music genres

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------

    • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2006
        I too want to congratulate and thank Scott Alexander and all those
        supporters of classic jazz who have helped him to provide the
        RedHotJazz site during the past decade. What's especially helpful
        about his site for novice fans like me is the availability of sound
        clips of entire songs rather than the 30-60 second clips available at
        some of the on-line music sites (indeed, when clips are available at
        all). When I first got interested in our kind of music, I wasn't
        familiar with most of the artists or their songs and thus wasn't sure
        which CDs I would like. Thanks to Scott's site, I rarely have to buy
        the proverbial pig-in-the-poke. I look forward to many more decades
        of RedHotJazz to come.

        Gerard Fitzpatrick

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

        > The Red Hot Jazz Archive first appeared on the Internet in February
        of
        > 1996. I'd like to thank all of you who have contributed to the site
        over
        > the years. It wouldn't have been what it is today without your help
        and
        > generosity. I'm amazed that I'm still working on the site after all
        > these years and I'm astounded at how large it has grown. I've
        certainly
        > had a good time learning about the history of early jazz and I hope
        you
        > have too.
        >
        > The site is a bit of a "white elephant" (see definition #1 -
        > http://www.tfd.com/white+elephant) but I hope to keep it going for
        > another ten years. We are blessed to live in a time where the
        invention
        > of the Internet has made it possible for us all to get together and
        > share something that we enjoy even though we are individuals
        scattered
        > around the globe. I fear we are leaving a golden era of the
        Internet's
        > history and heading for an era where corporations and governments
        will
        > seek to control everything that appears online, but until then,
        I'll do
        > my best to keep the site going because you know what? I thought I
        heard
        > Buddy Bolden say something ten years ago.
        >
        > Scott Alexander
        > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        > www.redhotjazz.com

      • Dennis Pereyra
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
          Scott,

          Let me add my congratulations on the tenth anniversary of
          the Red Hot Jazz web site. I have enjoyed the music on the site
          since I first found it on a web surfing session back in 1998. I
          thought that it was great that someone was sharing this wonderful
          music with others. While many contributors have been involved with
          this electronic encyclopedia of jazz and hot dance music, it is
          through Scott's efforts that the site is, and will continue to be,
          an outpost for the music of generations past which is as enjoyable
          and sprightly as ever, and as close as the click of a mouse.
          Therefore, I raise my glass of Cliquot Club to you, Scott, and wish
          you and the RHJA all the best for years to come!

          Dennis