Re: The Red Hot Jazz Archive's Tenth Anniversary

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
      Thanks Scott--your efforts are much appreciated, and have been for ten years!
      We can't see the far-reaching effects of such a grand resource... the music
      lives on and on.

      John
    • rick bruhn
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
        scott

        this archive has become an important resource for my
        band and myself for the last few years. i can't
        really say that about very many sites. many, many
        thanks.

        rick

        --- Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        The Red Hot Jazz Archive first appeared on the
        Internet in February of
        1996. I'd like to thank all of you who have
        contributed to the site over
        the years. It wouldn't have been what it is today
        without your help and
        generosity. I'm amazed that I'm still working on the
        site after all
        these years and I'm astounded at how large it has
        grown. I've certainly
        had a good time learning about the history of early
        jazz and I hope you
        have too.

        The site is a bit of a "white elephant" (see
        definition #1 -
        http://www.tfd.com/white+elephant) but I hope to keep
        it going for
        another ten years. We are blessed to live in a time
        where the invention
        of the Internet has made it possible for us all to get
        together and
        share something that we enjoy even though we are
        individuals scattered
        around the globe. I fear we are leaving a golden era
        of the Internet's
        history and heading for an era where corporations and
        governments will
        seek to control everything that appears online, but
        until then, I'll do
        my best to keep the site going because you know what?
        I thought I heard
        Buddy Bolden say something ten years ago.

        Scott Alexander
        The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        www.redhotjazz.com

        Genres
        of music Jazz music
        Music genres

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------

      • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2006
          I too want to congratulate and thank Scott Alexander and all those
          supporters of classic jazz who have helped him to provide the
          RedHotJazz site during the past decade. What's especially helpful
          about his site for novice fans like me is the availability of sound
          clips of entire songs rather than the 30-60 second clips available at
          some of the on-line music sites (indeed, when clips are available at
          all). When I first got interested in our kind of music, I wasn't
          familiar with most of the artists or their songs and thus wasn't sure
          which CDs I would like. Thanks to Scott's site, I rarely have to buy
          the proverbial pig-in-the-poke. I look forward to many more decades
          of RedHotJazz to come.

          Gerard Fitzpatrick

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

          > The Red Hot Jazz Archive first appeared on the Internet in February
          of
          > 1996. I'd like to thank all of you who have contributed to the site
          over
          > the years. It wouldn't have been what it is today without your help
          and
          > generosity. I'm amazed that I'm still working on the site after all
          > these years and I'm astounded at how large it has grown. I've
          certainly
          > had a good time learning about the history of early jazz and I hope
          you
          > have too.
          >
          > The site is a bit of a "white elephant" (see definition #1 -
          > http://www.tfd.com/white+elephant) but I hope to keep it going for
          > another ten years. We are blessed to live in a time where the
          invention
          > of the Internet has made it possible for us all to get together and
          > share something that we enjoy even though we are individuals
          scattered
          > around the globe. I fear we are leaving a golden era of the
          Internet's
          > history and heading for an era where corporations and governments
          will
          > seek to control everything that appears online, but until then,
          I'll do
          > my best to keep the site going because you know what? I thought I
          heard
          > Buddy Bolden say something ten years ago.
          >
          > Scott Alexander
          > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          > www.redhotjazz.com

        • Dennis Pereyra
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
            Scott,

            Let me add my congratulations on the tenth anniversary of
            the Red Hot Jazz web site. I have enjoyed the music on the site
            since I first found it on a web surfing session back in 1998. I
            thought that it was great that someone was sharing this wonderful
            music with others. While many contributors have been involved with
            this electronic encyclopedia of jazz and hot dance music, it is
            through Scott's efforts that the site is, and will continue to be,
            an outpost for the music of generations past which is as enjoyable
            and sprightly as ever, and as close as the click of a mouse.
            Therefore, I raise my glass of Cliquot Club to you, Scott, and wish
            you and the RHJA all the best for years to come!

            Dennis