Opry House (1929)

  • heckman_michael
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
      This is one of the few items in the Eddie Lang filmography. I've seen
      Opry House but I don't see Lang. There is a segment with the Mound
      City Blue Blowers, but Lang is not one of them. Is my copy incomplete?
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
        on 2/2/06 17:32, heckman_michael at heckman_michael@... wrote:

        > This is one of the few items in the Eddie Lang filmography. I've seen
        > Opry House but I don't see Lang. There is a segment with the Mound
        > City Blue Blowers, but Lang is not one of them. Is my copy incomplete?

        Roy Liebman's Vitaphone Films listing gives the personnel as William
        McKenzie, comb; Frank Billings, suitcase; Jack Bland, banjo; Carl Kress,
        guitar; Lou Hearn, Doris Walker, singer (sic).

        It's not obvious why Lang should be in this because surely he was long gone
        from the MCBB by 1929. He last recorded with them in October 1925.

        By the same token he seems unlikely to be in the Blue Blowers' other two
        Vitaphone appearances: #469 Roger Wolfe Khan (March 1927) and #1220 Nine
        O'Clock Folks (April 1930)

      • Albert Haim
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
          You are correct. Eddie Lang never appeared in the Vitaphone films of
          the MCBB. The guitarists in the three Vitaphone films of the MCBB were:

          February 1927 - Roger Wolfe Kahn and His Orchestra. The guitarist with
          the MCBB at this time was Joe Humby.

          June 1929 - "The Opry House." The guitarist with the MCBB was Carl Kress.

          April 1930 - "Nine O'Clock Folks." Both Jack Bland and Eddie Condon
          played 4-string, cello-bodied guitars.

          Albert

          > on 2/2/06 17:32, heckman_michael at heckman_michael@... wrote:
          >
          > > This is one of the few items in the Eddie Lang filmography. I've seen
          > > Opry House but I don't see Lang. There is a segment with the Mound
          > > City Blue Blowers, but Lang is not one of them. Is my copy incomplete?
          >
          > Roy Liebman's Vitaphone Films listing gives the personnel as William
          > McKenzie, comb; Frank Billings, suitcase; Jack Bland, banjo; Carl Kress,
          > guitar; Lou Hearn, Doris Walker, singer (sic).
          >
          > It's not obvious why Lang should be in this because surely he was
          long gone
          > from the MCBB by 1929. He last recorded with them in October 1925.
          >
          > By the same token he seems unlikely to be in the Blue Blowers' other two
          > Vitaphone appearances: #469 Roger Wolfe Khan (March 1927) and #1220 Nine
          > O'Clock Folks (April 1930)

          > howard@...
          > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

        • Albert Haim
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2006
            I found lots of ads for records in the New York Times. Here is one
            general ad for Columbia records.

            http://bixbeiderbecke.com/raymiller/adcolumbiamay191923.JPG

            and one ad for a specific record by Ray Miller's band.

            http://bixbeiderbecke.com/raymiller/adbaambalinaapr281923.JPG

            Perhaps it is not too surprising that the New York Times carried
            general ads (which include classical as well as popular records), but
            the specific ad for one particular record -and a dance band recording
            at that- is quite astonishing. I did not expect to find such ads in
            the New York Times. Live and learn.

            Albert

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2006
              on 4/2/06 20:04, Albert Haim at alberthaim@... wrote:

              > I found lots of ads for records in the New York Times. Here is one
              > general ad for Columbia records.
              >
              > http://bixbeiderbecke.com/raymiller/adcolumbiamay191923.JPG
              >
              > and one ad for a specific record by Ray Miller's band.
              >
              > http://bixbeiderbecke.com/raymiller/adbaambalinaapr281923.JPG
              >
              > Perhaps it is not too surprising that the New York Times carried
              > general ads (which include classical as well as popular records), but
              > the specific ad for one particular record -and a dance band recording
              > at that- is quite astonishing. I did not expect to find such ads in
              > the New York Times. Live and learn.

              Yes, I'm surprised too, but I'm not surprised that I hadn't registered them.
              They are not calendar material I think! Even the Nora Bayes one is quite
              pedestrian, so in a way everybody's right on this.

              I wonder why, if these are typical, adverts aimed at African-Americans were
              so much more imaginative, especially graphically. I certainly have no idea
              who the artists employed for them were but in case they will only have been
              working for hire. The publicity departments must have decided that that was
              the pitch that would sell records in that market.