Re: The Red Hot Jazz Archive's Tenth Anniversary

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
      I second all the other good wishers on this milestone for the RHJA. An
      educational, informative, and most useful resource. There isn't a day
      when I do not consult this encyclopedic work - for music, photographs,
      information, just plain enjoyment, etc.

      The jazz and hot dance lovers around the world are forever indebted to
      Scott for his invaluable contribution to scholarship and to our
      collective happiness.

      Albert

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

      > The Red Hot Jazz Archive first appeared on the Internet in February of
      > 1996. I'd like to thank all of you who have contributed to the site
      over
      > the years. It wouldn't have been what it is today without your help and
      > generosity. I'm amazed that I'm still working on the site after all
      > these years and I'm astounded at how large it has grown. I've certainly
      > had a good time learning about the history of early jazz and I hope you
      > have too.
      >
      > The site is a bit of a "white elephant" (see definition #1 -
      > http://www.tfd.com/white+elephant) but I hope to keep it going for
      > another ten years. We are blessed to live in a time where the invention
      > of the Internet has made it possible for us all to get together and
      > share something that we enjoy even though we are individuals scattered
      > around the globe. I fear we are leaving a golden era of the Internet's
      > history and heading for an era where corporations and governments will
      > seek to control everything that appears online, but until then, I'll do
      > my best to keep the site going because you know what? I thought I heard
      > Buddy Bolden say something ten years ago.
      >
      > Scott Alexander
      > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      > www.redhotjazz.com

    • spacelights
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
        Thanks Scott--your efforts are much appreciated, and have been for ten years!
        We can't see the far-reaching effects of such a grand resource... the music
        lives on and on.

        John
      • rick bruhn
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
          scott

          this archive has become an important resource for my
          band and myself for the last few years. i can't
          really say that about very many sites. many, many
          thanks.

          rick

          --- Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
[...]

          Genres
          of music Jazz music
          Music genres

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------

        • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2006
            I too want to congratulate and thank Scott Alexander and all those
            supporters of classic jazz who have helped him to provide the
            RedHotJazz site during the past decade. What's especially helpful
            about his site for novice fans like me is the availability of sound
            clips of entire songs rather than the 30-60 second clips available at
            some of the on-line music sites (indeed, when clips are available at
            all). When I first got interested in our kind of music, I wasn't
            familiar with most of the artists or their songs and thus wasn't sure
            which CDs I would like. Thanks to Scott's site, I rarely have to buy
            the proverbial pig-in-the-poke. I look forward to many more decades
            of RedHotJazz to come.

            Gerard Fitzpatrick

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

            > The Red Hot Jazz Archive first appeared on the Internet in February
            of
            > 1996. I'd like to thank all of you who have contributed to the site
            over
            > the years. It wouldn't have been what it is today without your help
            and
            > generosity. I'm amazed that I'm still working on the site after all
            > these years and I'm astounded at how large it has grown. I've
            certainly
            > had a good time learning about the history of early jazz and I hope
            you
            > have too.
            >
            > The site is a bit of a "white elephant" (see definition #1 -
            > http://www.tfd.com/white+elephant) but I hope to keep it going for
            > another ten years. We are blessed to live in a time where the
            invention
            > of the Internet has made it possible for us all to get together and
            > share something that we enjoy even though we are individuals
            scattered
            > around the globe. I fear we are leaving a golden era of the
            Internet's
            > history and heading for an era where corporations and governments
            will
            > seek to control everything that appears online, but until then,
            I'll do
            > my best to keep the site going because you know what? I thought I
            heard
            > Buddy Bolden say something ten years ago.
            >
            > Scott Alexander
            > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
            > www.redhotjazz.com

          • Dennis Pereyra
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
              Scott,

              Let me add my congratulations on the tenth anniversary of
              the Red Hot Jazz web site. I have enjoyed the music on the site
              since I first found it on a web surfing session back in 1998. I
              thought that it was great that someone was sharing this wonderful
              music with others. While many contributors have been involved with
              this electronic encyclopedia of jazz and hot dance music, it is
              through Scott's efforts that the site is, and will continue to be,
              an outpost for the music of generations past which is as enjoyable
              and sprightly as ever, and as close as the click of a mouse.
              Therefore, I raise my glass of Cliquot Club to you, Scott, and wish
              you and the RHJA all the best for years to come!

              Dennis