The Red Hot Jazz Archive's Tenth Anniversary

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive first appeared on the Internet in February of
      1996. I'd like to thank all of you who have contributed to the site over
      the years. It wouldn't have been what it is today without your help and
      generosity. I'm amazed that I'm still working on the site after all
      these years and I'm astounded at how large it has grown. I've certainly
      had a good time learning about the history of early jazz and I hope you
      have too.

      The site is a bit of a "white elephant" (see definition #1 -
      http://www.tfd.com/white+elephant) but I hope to keep it going for
      another ten years. We are blessed to live in a time where the invention
      of the Internet has made it possible for us all to get together and
      share something that we enjoy even though we are individuals scattered
      around the globe. I fear we are leaving a golden era of the Internet's
      history and heading for an era where corporations and governments will
      seek to control everything that appears online, but until then, I'll do
      my best to keep the site going because you know what? I thought I heard
      Buddy Bolden say something ten years ago.

      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com
    • john schott
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
        Beautifully written, economical, moving and celebratory - like a great jazz
        solo!

        Thank you for your great resource!

        John

        > The Red Hot Jazz Archive first appeared on the Internet in February of
        > 1996. I'd like to thank all of you who have contributed to the site over
        > the years. It wouldn't have been what it is today without your help and
        > generosity. I'm amazed that I'm still working on the site after all
        > these years and I'm astounded at how large it has grown. I've certainly
        > had a good time learning about the history of early jazz and I hope you
        > have too.
        >
        > The site is a bit of a "white elephant" (see definition #1 -
        > http://www.tfd.com/white+elephant) but I hope to keep it going for
        > another ten years. We are blessed to live in a time where the invention
        > of the Internet has made it possible for us all to get together and
        > share something that we enjoy even though we are individuals scattered
        > around the globe. I fear we are leaving a golden era of the Internet's
        > history and heading for an era where corporations and governments will
        > seek to control everything that appears online, but until then, I'll do
        > my best to keep the site going because you know what? I thought I heard
        > Buddy Bolden say something ten years ago.
        >
        > Scott Alexander
        > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        > www.redhotjazz.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Agustín Pérez
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
          All I can say is... billions of thanks for your wonderful website!

          Agustín Pérez
          Madrid (Spain)

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

          > The Red Hot Jazz Archive first appeared on the Internet in February
          of
          > 1996. I'd like to thank all of you who have contributed to the site
          over
          > the years. It wouldn't have been what it is today without your help
          and
          > generosity. I'm amazed that I'm still working on the site after all
          > these years and I'm astounded at how large it has grown. I've
          certainly
          > had a good time learning about the history of early jazz and I hope
          you
          > have too.
          >
          > The site is a bit of a "white elephant" (see definition #1 -
          > http://www.tfd.com/white+elephant) but I hope to keep it going for
          > another ten years. We are blessed to live in a time where the
          invention
          > of the Internet has made it possible for us all to get together and
          > share something that we enjoy even though we are individuals
          scattered
          > around the globe. I fear we are leaving a golden era of the
          Internet's
          > history and heading for an era where corporations and governments
          will
          > seek to control everything that appears online, but until then,
          I'll do
          > my best to keep the site going because you know what? I thought I
          heard
          > Buddy Bolden say something ten years ago.
          >
          > Scott Alexander
          > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          > www.redhotjazz.com

        • Albert Haim
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
            I second all the other good wishers on this milestone for the RHJA. An
            educational, informative, and most useful resource. There isn't a day
            when I do not consult this encyclopedic work - for music, photographs,
            information, just plain enjoyment, etc.

            The jazz and hot dance lovers around the world are forever indebted to
            Scott for his invaluable contribution to scholarship and to our
            collective happiness.

            Albert

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

            > The Red Hot Jazz Archive first appeared on the Internet in February of
            > 1996. I'd like to thank all of you who have contributed to the site
            over
            > the years. It wouldn't have been what it is today without your help and
            > generosity. I'm amazed that I'm still working on the site after all
            > these years and I'm astounded at how large it has grown. I've certainly
            > had a good time learning about the history of early jazz and I hope you
            > have too.
            >
            > The site is a bit of a "white elephant" (see definition #1 -
            > http://www.tfd.com/white+elephant) but I hope to keep it going for
            > another ten years. We are blessed to live in a time where the invention
            > of the Internet has made it possible for us all to get together and
            > share something that we enjoy even though we are individuals scattered
            > around the globe. I fear we are leaving a golden era of the Internet's
            > history and heading for an era where corporations and governments will
            > seek to control everything that appears online, but until then, I'll do
            > my best to keep the site going because you know what? I thought I heard
            > Buddy Bolden say something ten years ago.
            >
            > Scott Alexander
            > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
            > www.redhotjazz.com

          • spacelights
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
              Thanks Scott--your efforts are much appreciated, and have been for ten years!
              We can't see the far-reaching effects of such a grand resource... the music
              lives on and on.

              John
            • rick bruhn
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
                scott

                this archive has become an important resource for my
                band and myself for the last few years. i can't
                really say that about very many sites. many, many
                thanks.

                rick

                --- Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

                ---------------------------------
[...]

                Genres
                of music Jazz music
                Music genres

                Terms of Service.

                ---------------------------------

              • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2006
                  I too want to congratulate and thank Scott Alexander and all those
                  supporters of classic jazz who have helped him to provide the
                  RedHotJazz site during the past decade. What's especially helpful
                  about his site for novice fans like me is the availability of sound
                  clips of entire songs rather than the 30-60 second clips available at
                  some of the on-line music sites (indeed, when clips are available at
                  all). When I first got interested in our kind of music, I wasn't
                  familiar with most of the artists or their songs and thus wasn't sure
                  which CDs I would like. Thanks to Scott's site, I rarely have to buy
                  the proverbial pig-in-the-poke. I look forward to many more decades
                  of RedHotJazz to come.

                  Gerard Fitzpatrick

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

                  > The Red Hot Jazz Archive first appeared on the Internet in February
                  of
                  > 1996. I'd like to thank all of you who have contributed to the site
                  over
                  > the years. It wouldn't have been what it is today without your help
                  and
                  > generosity. I'm amazed that I'm still working on the site after all
                  > these years and I'm astounded at how large it has grown. I've
                  certainly
                  > had a good time learning about the history of early jazz and I hope
                  you
                  > have too.
                  >
                  > The site is a bit of a "white elephant" (see definition #1 -
                  > http://www.tfd.com/white+elephant) but I hope to keep it going for
                  > another ten years. We are blessed to live in a time where the
                  invention
                  > of the Internet has made it possible for us all to get together and
                  > share something that we enjoy even though we are individuals
                  scattered
                  > around the globe. I fear we are leaving a golden era of the
                  Internet's
                  > history and heading for an era where corporations and governments
                  will
                  > seek to control everything that appears online, but until then,
                  I'll do
                  > my best to keep the site going because you know what? I thought I
                  heard
                  > Buddy Bolden say something ten years ago.
                  >
                  > Scott Alexander
                  > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                  > www.redhotjazz.com

                • Dennis Pereyra
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
                    Scott,

                    Let me add my congratulations on the tenth anniversary of
                    the Red Hot Jazz web site. I have enjoyed the music on the site
                    since I first found it on a web surfing session back in 1998. I
                    thought that it was great that someone was sharing this wonderful
                    music with others. While many contributors have been involved with
                    this electronic encyclopedia of jazz and hot dance music, it is
                    through Scott's efforts that the site is, and will continue to be,
                    an outpost for the music of generations past which is as enjoyable
                    and sprightly as ever, and as close as the click of a mouse.
                    Therefore, I raise my glass of Cliquot Club to you, Scott, and wish
                    you and the RHJA all the best for years to come!

                    Dennis