Re: [RedHotJazz] Blues Calendar

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 1, 2006
      I recall a 1918 Victor advertisement for the ODJB featured on a reissue describing the origin of the word jazz/jass as coming from California. However, I am presently abroad, and the exact description of the ad and artwork has to wait until next week, unless somebody else has this information handy.

      Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote: on 31/1/06 10:23, Pavel Pitra at Pavel.Pitra@... wrote:

      >> It would be very difficult to do anything featuring white artists because
      >> these adverts come from the African-American press.....
      >>
      >> I have never seen anything remotely similar from the white press, which
      >> isn't to say that there aren't any. I have no idea at all of how records
      >> were marketed to Southern whites. Maybe their newspapers are full of similar
      >> adverts, but somehow I doubt it.
      >
      > I'm not sure if I expressed myself clearly enough (and if I correctly
      > understood your answer). I wasn't looking for some white "racist"
      > material, rather plain adverts for "white" (and even black) jazz and
      > _dance_ orchestras and songs - sort of "Buy the new Goldkette
      > recording of 'In My Merry Oldsmobile'", or "Scranton Sirens playing
      > (here or there) tonight" etc.

      I didn't make myself clear either.

      What I meant to imply was that I think these advertisements for Race issues
      were generated specifically by the possibility of advertising to a closely
      defined target market. There are quite possibly similar adverts for the
      ethnic catalogs in papers aimed at Polish Americans and so on.

      But where would you actually place "Buy the new Goldkette recording of 'In
      My Merry Oldsmobile'"? The general market was much more diffuse.

      I don't recall any record advertisements in the New York Times for example,
      though there are plenty of adverts for shows. How did you reach the market
      for Jean Goldkette? There may be an obvious answer but I don't know it and
      the fact that I've never seen the adverts reproduced makes me doubtful. If
      they existed you'd think they'd be in Bix, Man and Legend for instance,
      wouldn't you?

      The only adverts found for the Fabulous Fives project were for the Race
      issues and an English Columbia advert for the ODJB "Real Jazz - Jazzily
      Recorded" which I think is from the trade press.

      Jazz music Genres of music Music genres