the Scranton Sirens

  • heckman_michael
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2006
      Whiteman helped himself to the cream of the Goldkette crop. Whiteman
      and Goldkette helped themselves wholesale to the Scranton Sirens:
      Eddie Lang, the Dorseys, Bill Challis, Vic D'Ipppolito, Fuzzy
      Farrar, Mike Trafficante, Itzy Riskin...but, the Sirens' legacy
      consists of one record! The Red Hot Jazz site has a picture and an
      article by Marshall Lustig, son of Billy Lustig, the leader of the
      group. Aside from Lustig, the only definitely identified musicians
      in the picture are Jimmy Dorsey and Russ Morgan. I question whether
      it's JD. According to the article by Lustig, Jr., the Dorseys had
      left (we know they were with Goldkette in March, 1924) by the time
      Lang joined. Does anyone know what Alfie Evans looked like? Or Jim
      Crossan, or Vic D'Ippolito? My suggestion, based on other pictures,
      is that the banjo, tuba and piano are Lang, Trafficante and Riskin.
      My guess is that the trumpet is D'Ippolito and that this is the
      group that plays on the record.

      I've googled the Sirens and all that comes up is Red Hot Jazz. Is
      that all there is?

      Mike Heckman