Re: [RedHotJazz] More on "My Maryland"

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2006
      I am not a musician, but I always liked the Bunk's solo parts on Maryland, and I did not know if they were improvised or part of the arrangement. When I heard the 1905 recording I was struck by the similarity of the trumpet solos. My main question was if this similarity indicates that Bunk and George were playing in a style that was prevalent around the turn of the century. I could not find any recording of Maryland on the RHJA from before 1945. If Bunk could remember how it sounded forty years earlier it means something, but if this music came from sheet music it does not mean anything. However, I never saw Bunk, Geo. and Jim read music on pictures; they learnt by ear, although I seem to remember that Bunk was schooled.

      I just had the opportunity to listen to the Edison Military Band (not
      "Victor MB") on the link provided in Mordecai's previous post, and
      then listen to Bunk's recording. What the Edison band plays is the
      original stock arrangement of the tune. What Bunk plays is an
      adaptation of that...there is no real "arrangement" played by Bunk. He
      is playing his version of the tune's melody and form, just as any jazz
      band would do with any other type of composition, be it a popular
      song, a march, a rag, etc.

      Cheers,
      Chris Tyle

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@y...>
      wrote:

      > For years I have enjoyed listening to the 1945 sides cut by Bunk
      Johnson and George Lewis. These recordings sparked the New Orleans
      Revival. Claims were made that the musicians played in a style that
      was from the turn of the century; however, since you could not find
      early recordings to corroborate this I came to the conclusion that the
      Bunk and George had created their own style.
      > One track that I particularly like is the Decca recording of
      Maryland my Maryland in 1945. The band is in great shape and the sound
      is better than the American Music versions.
      > Yesterday I listened to a program called "Thomas Edison's Attic"
      on www.wfmu.org/playlists/shows/17675. The curator at the Edison
      Museum picks all kinds of old cylinders and discs from the 1880's to
      the 1920's and plays them on the antique equipment, and there are some
      recordings there of jazz interest. The show from 1/10/06 referenced
      above has a recording from 1905 on a cylinder of Maryland my Maryland
      by "The Victor Military Band" at 31.00 min. I was very surprised to
      hear almost the identical arrangements compared to the Bunk Decca
      recording, including the great cornet solos of Bunk.
      > So my question is: Did Bunk and George really play in the style
      of 1900, or did they somehow just use the same arrangement?