Ray Lopez 1950's private recordings

  • jazzguy1927
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2006
      In 1976 and 1977 Storyville magazine #'s 64&69 had 2 articles on New
      Orleans Jazz cornetist Ray Lopez who had played in Brown's Band from
      Dixieland in Chicago starting in 1915 and recorded with Abe Lyman and
      Gus Arnheim bands in the 1920's.The 2 articles by Dick Holbrook are
      very detailed and cover Lopez's life from his early New Orleans days up
      to his meeting Lopez at Ray's apartment in 1967.

      What suprises me is that Holbrook exchanged many letters with Lopez for
      the articles and even met him but makes no mention of the private
      acetate recordings Ray Lopez made in 1952 which Lopez had in his
      possession when i met him.I met Ray Lopez too in the 1960's when i
      visited him at his apartment in Hawthorne, California and he showed me
      some private acetates he had recorded in 1952 with some "old New
      Orleans buddies."
      There were 4 tunes on the acetates:
      Bees Knees, Ballin' The Jack,Wang-Wang Blues and Indiana
      The personel for the recordings written on the paper label was Ray
      Lopez,cornet; Gus Mueller,clarinet; Charles Preble, trombone; Bert
      Fiske, piano; Van Gatewood, bass; Bert Lopez, guitar; Paul DeDroit,
      drums.On the label of the acetates was written Wallachs Music City =a
      music store in Hollywood where the acetates were recorded.
      Ray Lopez kindly permitted me to make a reel to reel tape recording of
      all 4 sides.
      Ray Lopez also had an acetate recorded in the 1940's that Tom Brown had
      given him of Livery Stable Blues with Johnny Wiggs, cornet;Tom
      Brown,trombone; Harry Shields,clarinet;and unidentifed piano and
      drums.He also let me make a reel to reel tape of this acetate.
      I want to ask members here if they know of anyone else who has these
      recordings because i am not the only person to have visited Ray Lopez
      and he probably allowed others to tape the acetates.- Thanks, Tim