Wilbur Sweatman - 2 Songs (You've Never Heard) Added

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2004
      I bet you've never heard these songs from Wilbur Sweatman's last recording
      session:

      http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/sweatman/battleshipkate-vocalion.ram
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/sweatman/thefloridablues-vocalion.ram

      They are really pretty good hot numbers. More on this session here:
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/wswo.html

      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2004
        Hi Scott,

        You're right and what's more they're actually worth hearing - a strong throwback to an earlier era with people like Russell Smith. Like Clarence Williams' recordings of the same period they give lie to any notion of a revival - music like this was played all along. It's also interesting to hear Eddie Gibbs playing along with old-timers. Is anything known about the Henry Zeno playing drums on this session? Wasn't that the name of one of Louis Armstrong's old friends from New Orleans?

        Best wishes,

        Michael