Re: [RedHotJazz] Jelly Roll Morton Rounder Set No Longer Available

  • Hugh Crozier
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
      Until someone started to complain about the quality of the new boxed set I had not even considered the issue! I have heard the entire thing from start to finish now several times and am extremely happy with it. Although I am a musician I have never been very taken by discussions about the quality of reissues, unless something is clearly and blatantly wrong, or clearly and blatantly right, as in the case of John R T Davies's King Oliver reissues. As far as I am concerned, the message, not the medium, is prior.

      So I will go on happily and uncritically enjoying the Library of Congress CDs and revel in the new details they provide for me. My problem will be if Rounder reissue them again in a new (improved?) format. Will I need to buy the new set too? I wonder ...

      Hugh

      Andrew Homzy <homzy@...> wrote:
      On another list, there was discussion that the earlier Rounder 4-CD set was
      much better than the complete - and that the material provided by the
      Library of Congress was first-rate. Having not heard the complete Morton, I
      have nothing to say other than I hope there will be a new pressing of this
      fascinating document.

      Cheers,

      Andrew Homzy, Montréal

      > From: Laurence Swain <l.swain@...>
      > Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:10:23 -0500
      > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] Jelly Roll Morton Rounder Set No Longer Available
      >
      >> I heard - through the grapevine - that the Rounder/Morton set was
      >> pulled because of complaints regarding the poor quality of the
      >> transfers - and that they will re-master it correctly.
      >>
      >> Cheers,
      >>
      >> Andrew Homzy, Montréal
      >
      > I just started listening to the Rounder boxed set I received for Christmas,
      > and the quality
      > (so far, through the first half of the first of 8 CDs) is just fine. Only a
      > few minutes of
      > scratches, etc., and these not too terrible.
      >
      > Larry Swain
      >
      > Scituate, MA

      Genres of music Jazz music Music genres

      ---------------------------------

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
        Well, it is an issue if you have the LP version (the last restored by John RT Davies) and wonder if the new set is worth the investment, i.e. in terms of additional content and/or enhanced sound quality.

        I would tend to doubt that Rounder would invest in new restoration work, which *is* expensive. The only company I know that has upgraded regularly is Archeophone, or does anyone know if Timeless has redone some of the horrors which marred its otherwise good reputation a few years back?

        Best,

        Michael Rader

        Jetzt gratis testen! http://freemail.web.de/home/landingpad/?mc=021130
      • Fredamhran@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2006
          Given the mass of pre release publicity, and the fact that no-one else has
          mentioned poor sound, I'd think it most unlikely that Rounder pulled the set
          for this reason.

          Whatever the problem was, let's hope it's back out again soon.

          Cheers,

          Fred McCormick