Jazz records ?

  • tommersl
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
      On "Blues Records" the entry for W.C. Handy suggests that the other
      Handy sides are on a book "Jazz Records 1897-1942", which I assume is
      the book by Brian A. L Rust , thats what the search on the web came up
      with anyway. However it's out of print, on the other hand there are
      more than handful of other books that probably are on the same
      subject. What I need is the original "Jazz Records"book, the book that
      lists all jazz recordings dates and personnel prewar , a book that is
      similar to "Blues Records 1890-1943". What should I do ? I use Scott
      Alexander's site in the meantime but it doesn't give a per-song details.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
        on 1/1/06 23:32, tommersl at tommersl@... wrote:

        > On "Blues Records" the entry for W.C. Handy suggests that the other
        > Handy sides are on a book "Jazz Records 1897-1942", which I assume is
        > the book by Brian A. L Rust , thats what the search on the web came up
        > with anyway. However it's out of print, on the other hand there are
        > more than handful of other books that probably are on the same
        > subject. What I need is the original "Jazz Records"book, the book that
        > lists all jazz recordings dates and personnel prewar , a book that is
        > similar to "Blues Records 1890-1943". What should I do ? I use Scott
        > Alexander's site in the meantime but it doesn't give a per-song details.

        Brian Rust's book is in its sixth edition, under the title Jazz & Ragtime
        Records 1897-1942, published by Mainspring Press, Highlands Ranch, CO, who
        can be found on the web at <www.mainspringpress.com>.

        In this group's archive you'll find some previous discussion of the relative
        merits of various editions and the possibility of obtaining one of the
        earlier editions rather more cheaply than the current price!

      • tommersl
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@c...> wrote:

          > on 1/1/06 23:32, tommersl at tommersl@y... wrote:
          >
          > > On "Blues Records" the entry for W.C. Handy suggests that the other
          > > Handy sides are on a book "Jazz Records 1897-1942", which I assume is
          > > the book by Brian A. L Rust , thats what the search on the web came up
          > > with anyway. However it's out of print, on the other hand there are
          > > more than handful of other books that probably are on the same
          > > subject. What I need is the original "Jazz Records"book, the book that
          > > lists all jazz recordings dates and personnel prewar , a book that is
          > > similar to "Blues Records 1890-1943". What should I do ? I use Scott
          > > Alexander's site in the meantime but it doesn't give a per-song
          details.

          > Brian Rust's book is in its sixth edition, under the title Jazz &
          Ragtime
          > Records 1897-1942, published by Mainspring Press, Highlands Ranch,
          CO, who
          > can be found on the web at <www.mainspringpress.com>.
          >
          > In this group's archive you'll find some previous discussion of the
          relative
          > merits of various editions and the possibility of obtaining one of the
          > earlier editions rather more cheaply than the current price!

          > howard@c...
          > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

          Thanks , I'll check it out.