Re: [RedHotJazz] Red Hot Flo

  • Bob Eagle
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2005
      Noel Clukies ("Musician, Nightclub") was enumerated for the 1930 Census at 742 St Nicholas Avenue, New York. He was aged 25 (therefore born in about 1905). Noel was born in New York to parents from the British West Indies. Consuelo Stephens, 18, from Haiti, female, was a lodger with the family, and may have been a sexual relation. Spelling perhaps should be Consuela.

      Henry Jones, 21 ("Musician, Club") lived in the same building. He was born in Alabama, as were his parents.

      Happy New Year to all.

      Bob

      Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:
      on 31/12/05 10:10, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

      > There's a note on this recording in the booklet coming with Frog DGF37 (Shake
      > 'em Up by Clarence Williams). In this, Richard Rains states that part of the
      > Jimmy Wade band was brought in for the session with "Red Hot Flo". This would
      > indicate that the violin player is Eddie South and the clarinet player (most
      > likely) Arnett Nelson or (possibly) Vernon Roulette. I don't know whence this
      > wisdom, since Rains doesn't state any sources. The closest recordings in time
      > known to be Wade are an April 5 1927 session.

      Most theories about the presence of Arnett Nelson on records originate with
      the late Ernest Virgo, who was capable of hearing virtually any unknown
      clarinettist as Nelson! The Wade band has probably been imported as a back
      formation from this. Tom Lord's Clarence Williams simply says that the
      cornet IS Ed Allen and that is what all previous informed listeners had
      heard.

      Compare South's playing on OKeh 8407 and forget that possibility anyway.
      Forget Edgar Sampson too! Howard Nelson is named as the violinist
      essentially because he is known (from Clarence I think) to be on some
      Williams sides from this period. As these would be his only records there is
      nothing to compare them with. He used to be named also for Eva's Columbia
      14296-D, but file data names this violinist (not a hot player) as Noel
      Clukies.

      There is no personnel information on the file cards for 80739/40.

      Happy New Year to you too.

      Yahoo! Groups Links