Re: Yamakraw, Spelling

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 25, 2005
      The correct spelling is Yamekraw.

      Albert

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@y...> wrote:

      > I found several references to the Vitaphone short Yamekrow. Here are
      > two of them.
      >
      > 1. The short film was shown at the Mary Pickford Theater (Library of
      > Congress) on Sep 15, 2005. Described as
      > Yamekraw (1930, Production # 1009, 10 min). Beautiful dramatization of
      > symphonic tone poem by James P. Johnson set in a Savannah, Georgia,
      > settlement.
      > See http://www.loc.gov/rr/mopic/pickford/pickford-current.html
      >
      > 2. It is listed in the VIDEO & DVD RECORDINGS IN THE OBERLIN
      > CONSERVATORY LIBRARY
      > See http://www.oberlin.edu/library/music/2004videos.pdf
      >
      > Just google [ vitaphone "james p. johnson" ] and you'll get 65 hits,
      > some useless, some relevant.
      >
      > Albert
      > http://bixbeiderbecke.com

    • jazzguy1927
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 25, 2005
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "john schott" <john@j...> wrote:

        > Inquiry:
        > Is the 1930 Vitaphone film "Yamakraw," featuring James P.
        Johnson's music, if not performance, extant? Is the soundtrack even
        extant?

        > curious,

        John Schott>

        If we can't view the film short at least we can hear the music.I know
        of 2 cd's with Yamekraw played as a piano solo.
        1.by the composer James P. Johnson recorded by Moses Asch possibly in
        1944 and on the cd "The Original James P. Johnson 1942-1945 Piano
        Solos" released on Smithsonian Folkways label
        2.played by William Albright on the cd "The Symphonic Jazz Of James
        P. Johnson" released on Music Masters MMD 60066A

        Both the above were also issued on lp's.The first one on a Folkways
        lp FJ 2842 and the 2nd one on a Music Masters lp.These old lp issues
        are not easy to find.
        Hope this helps if you want to hear the music,
        Tim