Re: [RedHotJazz] Joe Smith's Martha Lee Club Orch.

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2005
      on 19/12/05 3:19, jazzguy1927 at jazzguy1927@... wrote:

      > I have an old lp on the Take Two label called Old Folks Shuffle:Rare
      > Jazz 1925-1927.TT-215. There are 2 titles on the lp by a band called
      > Joe Smith and his Martha Lee Club Orchestra.They are-
      > 1.Nora Lee
      > 2.Don't Bother Me
      >
      > I can't find this band or these recordings they made in my 3rd or 4th
      > editions of Rust.Does anyone know the original 78 label these
      > recordings were issued on?Does anyone have information on the personnel
      > on these recordings?Have these titles ever been on cd?-Thanks, Tim

      Okeh 40322, recorded 13 March 1925, masters 73234/35 in the order above. It
      was apparently also issued on the club's vanity label as Martha Lee 1. I
      would speculate that this is actually the original issue and the session was
      orginally commissioned by the club and then considered suitable for wider
      release.

      They made a second session about 8 April, which produced 73299 Joanna/73300
      The Midnight Waltz, issued on OKeh 40351, and English Parlophone E5390.

      I have never seen a personnel. Obviously this is not the Joe Smith who
      recorded with Fletcher Henderson, but that probably didn't need saying.

      The Martha Lee Club must have actually existed. Wonder where it was.
      Unfortunately no file data survives on OKeh acoustic and Truetone
      recordings, so there's no help there.