Sara Lawrence (Oriole 865)

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2005
      I have a few questions about Sara Lawrence sides issued on Oriole 865:

      Gonna Put You Right In Jail (7074-3)
      I'm Gonna Kill Myself (0756-1) [listed as both matrix and control # by 'Online
      78 rpm Discographical Project']

      Notes for '"Too Late, Too Late" - Vol. 6' (DOCD-5461), which does not
      include these, mention that Oriole 865 "couples 'Gonna Put You Right In Jail'
      which she also recorded under her own name with Duke Ellington on the
      piano on 25 February 1927 and 'I'm Gonna Kill Myself..."

      Lack of punctuation makes this sentence a bit unclear, at least to me (I think
      perhaps "which she also recorded under her own name" [Laura Smith] should
      be parenthetical). On listening to Laura Smith's "Gonna Put You Right In Jail"
      (7074-2--Banner 1977), the alto player does sound very much like Otto
      Hardwicke, but I'm not prepared to suggest that the pianist is Ellington...

      Does anyone know the precise instrumentation used on Oriole 865? Is there
      reason to believe that 7074-3 is from a remake session?
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 21, 2005
        on 21/11/05 2:36, spacelights at spacelights@... wrote:

        > I have a few questions about Sara Lawrence sides issued on Oriole 865:
        >
        > Gonna Put You Right In Jail (7074-3)
        > I'm Gonna Kill Myself (0756-1) [listed as both matrix and control # by 'Online
        > 78 rpm Discographical Project']
        >
        > Notes for '"Too Late, Too Late" - Vol. 6' (DOCD-5461), which does not
        > include these, mention that Oriole 865 "couples 'Gonna Put You Right In Jail'
        > which she also recorded under her own name with Duke Ellington on the
        > piano on 25 February 1927 and 'I'm Gonna Kill Myself..."
        >
        > Lack of punctuation makes this sentence a bit unclear, at least to me (I think
        > perhaps "which she also recorded under her own name" [Laura Smith] should
        > be parenthetical). On listening to Laura Smith's "Gonna Put You Right In
        > Jail"
        > (7074-2--Banner 1977), the alto player does sound very much like Otto
        > Hardwicke, but I'm not prepared to suggest that the pianist is Ellington...
        >
        > Does anyone know the precise instrumentation used on Oriole 865? Is there
        > reason to believe that 7074-3 is from a remake session?

        Gonna Put You Right In Jail (7074-3) is definitely confirmed to be Laura
        Smith matrix 7074. Since we can't trust that the suffixes to the Oriole
        control numbers are true takes (they sometimes appear to be but this could
        be a coincidence; unfortunately many assume the contrary on insufficient
        evidence) the only way of determining whether it is an alternative take is
        to take the revolutionary step of actually comparing the performances!

        I'm Gonna Kill Myself is unheard and although we list it in B&GR under Laura
        Smith we note that it is not confirmed to be by her. It would appear that it
        has never been reported by anyone competent to provide the instrumentation
        (though it must be known to collectors because there is no source for the
        control number other than the record). Circumstantial evidence that it is
        Laura is that it is on the back of a genuine Laura and that she had recorded
        the song earlier in 1927. This doesn't amount to proof given that publishers
        were pushing songs all over the place.