Helen Baxter and friends

  • Prof_Hi_Jinx
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2005
      I've been listening to Lem Fowler's CD which led me to look for Helen Baxter.

      She was one of only two black ladies of that name and approximate age in the 1920 Census.

      Helen was enumerated in Toledo, Ohio. I suspect she was touring at the time. She was one of a number of people described as "roomer".

      Those of particular interest are grouped together, as follows:

      Johnson, James P (25) Musician, Cabaret
      Johnson, Lily (30) Performer, Theater
      Baxter, Lee (32) Musician, Cabaret
      Baxter, Helen (24) Musician, Cabaret
      Scott, Leo (19) [no occupation)
      Forson, Isaac (22) Musician, Cabaret

      Note that James P is *the* James P, because he is shown as having been born in New Jersey, and his age fits his reported birth date of 1 February 1894.

      Apart from Helen, who was born in Washington, DC, the others are unknowns to me. Any info would be appreciated.

      Bob

    • spacelights
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 10, 2005
        Hi Bob,

        Lil Johnson was James P's wife. Leo Scott may be trumpeter Leon Scott, who
        recorded with Sammy Stewart in 1928. John Chilton gives Leon's birthdate
        as August 15, 1904, making him only 15 or 16 at this time. If he was in a
        cabaret show with the others, he may have (understandably) fabricated his
        age and forgotten his occupation...! However, since these seem to be New
        York-based artists, I wonder if it's drummer Lloyd Scott (born circa 1902,
        which fits with "Leo Scott's" given age).

        John

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Prof_Hi_Jinx" <prof_hi_jinx@y...>
        wrote:

        > I've been listening to Lem Fowler's CD which led me to look for Helen
        Baxter.

        > She was one of only two black ladies of that name and approximate age in
        the 1920 Census.

        > Helen was enumerated in Toledo, Ohio. I suspect she was touring at the
        time. She was one of a number of people described as "roomer".

        > Those of particular interest are grouped together, as follows:
        >
        > Johnson, James P (25) Musician, Cabaret
        > Johnson, Lily (30) Performer, Theater
        > Baxter, Lee (32) Musician, Cabaret
        > Baxter, Helen (24) Musician, Cabaret
        > Scott, Leo (19) [no occupation)
        > Forson, Isaac (22) Musician, Cabaret
        >
        > Note that James P is *the* James P, because he is shown as having been
        born in New Jersey, and his age fits his reported birth date of 1 February
        1894.

        > Apart from Helen, who was born in Washington, DC, the others are
        unknowns to me. Any info would be appreciated.

        > Bob
      • spacelights
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 10, 2005
          Lloyd Scott was born in Springfield, Ohio on August 21, 1902.

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "spacelights" <spacelights@y...>
          wrote:

          > I wonder if it's drummer Lloyd Scott (born circa 1902,
          > which fits with "Leo Scott's" given age).

          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Prof_Hi_Jinx" <prof_hi_jinx@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Helen was enumerated in Toledo, Ohio. I suspect she was touring at the
          > time. She was one of a number of people described as "roomer".
          > >
          > > Those of particular interest are grouped together, as follows:
          > >
          > > Johnson, James P (25) Musician, Cabaret
          > > Johnson, Lily (30) Performer, Theater
          > > Baxter, Lee (32) Musician, Cabaret
          > > Baxter, Helen (24) Musician, Cabaret
          > > Scott, Leo (19) [no occupation)
          > > Forson, Isaac (22) Musician, Cabaret
        • Bob Eagle
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 11, 2005
            Leo and both parents are shown as being born in Indiana. I'm wondering if he was Isaac's boyfriend.

            The group was enumerated on 3 January 1920, so if the age is correct, he was born in 1900. There's no listing in the 1900 Census for a black Leo* Scott born in 1900 in Indiana.

            Bob

            wrote:

            > I wonder if it's drummer Lloyd Scott (born circa 1902,
            > which fits with "Leo Scott's" given age).

            > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Prof_Hi_Jinx"

            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Helen was enumerated in Toledo, Ohio. I suspect she was touring at the
            > time. She was one of a number of people described as "roomer".
            > >
            > > Those of particular interest are grouped together, as follows:
            > >
            > > Johnson, James P (25) Musician, Cabaret
            > > Johnson, Lily (30) Performer, Theater
            > > Baxter, Lee (32) Musician, Cabaret
            > > Baxter, Helen (24) Musician, Cabaret
            > > Scott, Leo (19) [no occupation)
            > > Forson, Isaac (22) Musician, Cabaret

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • jazzguy1927
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 20, 2005
              wrote:
              I've been listening to Lem Fowler's CD which led me to look for Helen
              Baxter.>

              Could you give me some information on this Fowler CD you have- What
              company makes it and what is the title of the CD and the catalog #?
              Thanks

              The only Fowler i have is an lp of Fowlers Washboard Wonders on Vintage
              Jazz Music lp VLP-18.This lp also contains 2 piano solos of his-
              Satisfied Blues and Blues Mixture.

              I notice Helen Baxter recorded 2 titles for Edison under the name Ellen
              Coleman accompanied by Lem Fowler's Orchestra.
              1.Cruel Back Bitin' Blues
              2.You've Got Everything A Sweet Mama Needs

              Are those 2 Edison recordings on the Fowler cd?Both were reissued on an
              obscure 10" lp on the Blues Heritage label in the 1960's.
            • Robert Smith
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 20, 2005
                Helen Baxter also recorded three other titles, viz.:
                She Walked Right Up And Took My Man Away Edison 51242, 4913
                Satisfied Blues (there may be two masters of this title) Okeh 8080
                Daddy Ease It To Me --- " ---

                I don't have these records, and have no information on whether they were ever issued on LP or CD.

                Cheers

                Bob Smith

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 20, 2005
                  on 20/11/05 18:42, Robert Smith at robert.smith@... wrote:

                  > Helen Baxter also recorded three other titles, viz.:
                  > She Walked Right Up And Took My Man Away Edison 51242, 4913
                  > Satisfied Blues (there may be two masters of this title) Okeh 8080
                  > Daddy Ease It To Me
                  > --- " ---
                  >
                  > I don't have these records, and have no information on whether they were ever
                  > issued on LP or CD.

                  The Fowler band sides along with his accompaniments to Helen Baxter and some
                  other singers are on RST JPCD1520-2 Lem Fowler. This is a Document issue.

                  The rest of Helen Baxter is split between Document DOCD5279 (Leecan &
                  Cooksey, Vol.1), DOCD5627 (Classic Blues, Jazz & Vaudeville Singers: More
                  Alternate Takes, Vol. 4), DOCD5654 (Classic Blues& Vaudeville Singers:
                  Remaining Titles & Alternate Takes, Vol. 5), and RST JPCD1526-2 (Female
                  Blues: The Remaining Titles, Vol. 1)

                  Two or three takes exist of each of the three Ellen Coleman Edisons so
                  there's plenty of scope. The Lem Fowler CD has just one take of each of the
                  5 titles he accompanies.

                  She's also on King of the Zulus by New Orleans Blue Five, which is on Frog
                  DGF1, Thomas Morris 1926