Re: [RedHotJazz] 29th and Dearborn

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
      Another street corner: I have a beatiful recording with Knocky Parker playing a Jelly Roll Morton piano solo from 1926 called "State and Madison." (couln't find it on RHJA). Means anything?

      Jeffrey Jastram <mister_j@...> wrote:Dear group:

      It was on October 13, 2005 when I first realized that "(Sir) Howard The
      Catcher" was truly a god of jazz history. For it was on that sacred date
      that, in response to my rather pedantic question re: 47th and State, he
      described this Chicago intersection in such detail that one would have to
      believe he was there ... in 1940! [It's a documented fact. See message
      no.1637 on the RHJG website.]

      Well .............................. I now discover that I also have a
      recording by Johnny Dodds And His Chicago Boys titled "29th And Dearborn".
      No discography is required (Decca B/63191, recorded 01/21/38), but, once
      again, I am curious as to the significance of this (presumably Chicago)
      location.

      ' ... and the answer is ........'

      Thanks, Jeff.

      Jeff Jastram
      1279 Springfield Street
      Suite 222
      Upland, California
      USA 91786
      mister_j@...

      Jazz music Music genres

      ---------------------------------

    • spacelights
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
        It was the original location of Provident Hospital and Training School for
        Nurses, established by black Chicagoans in 1891.

        "29th and Dearborn" is an alternative title for "Riverside Blues" (Thomas
        Dorsey/Richard M. Jones), as recorded by King Oliver in 1923. It was
        recorded as "29th and Dearborn" in 1925 (Richard M. Jones' Three Jazz
        Wizards) and 1926 (Russell's Hot Six).

        Autumn regards,

        John
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
          on 4/11/05 17:10, Jeffrey Jastram at mister_j@... wrote:

          > Well .............................. I now discover that I also have a
          > recording by Johnny Dodds And His Chicago Boys titled "29th And Dearborn".
          > No discography is required (Decca B/63191, recorded 01/21/38), but, once
          > again, I am curious as to the significance of this (presumably Chicago)
          > location.
          >
          > ' ... and the answer is ........'

          copied like the previous one from the map by Paul Edouard Miller, who was
          there in 1940, and Richard M. Jones, who was there in 1925, or would be but
          I find John has already answered the query! This to be found in the Esquire
          Jazz Book.

          Expertise is not knowing things, it's knowing where to look for them, which
          was a favorite saying of my late father, who would possibly be mildly
          surprised to know that I occasionally took notice of what he said!

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
            on 4/11/05 20:39, Mordechai Litzman at folke613@... wrote:

            > Another street corner: I have a beatiful recording with Knocky Parker playing
            > a Jelly Roll Morton piano solo from 1926 called "State and Madison." (couln't
            > find it on RHJA). Means anything?

            This is a downtown commercial location as far as I can see, a tune named for
            famous streets, rather than any jazzy significance to the location. Anyone
            know better? One map I have names something called the "State and Madison
            Building" on the north-west corner, but it looks like an office block.

          • spacelights
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@c...> wrote:

              > on 4/11/05 20:39, Mordechai Litzman at folke613@y... wrote:
              >
              > > Another street corner: I have a beatiful recording with Knocky Parker
              playing
              > > a Jelly Roll Morton piano solo from 1926 called "State and Madison."
              (couln't
              > > find it on RHJA). Means anything?
              >
              > This is a downtown commercial location as far as I can see, a tune named
              for
              > famous streets, rather than any jazzy significance to the location. Anyone
              > know better? One map I have names something called the "State and
              Madison
              > Building" on the north-west corner, but it looks like an office block.

              It seems to be Chicago's central point--State divides east and west addresses,
              while Madison divides north and south addresses. Did Morton keep an office
              nearby...? I recall reading something like that. Here are some vintage views:

              http://patsabin.com/illinois/statemadison.htm

              http://patsabin.com/illinois/mandel.htm