Re: Ramblers recordings at redhotjazz?

  • hvandervink
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "rimless46" <rimless46@y...> wrote:

      > Hello Jazzguy,
      > Try The Original Ramblers (same band in earlier phase:
      > one title: High Tension 1929
      > Vic

      Thanks Vic, yes this is one (out of four) of the recordings they did
      in London for HMV on 23 October 1929; they also recorded five titles
      for the German Odeon label that year. Interesting band: the drummer on
      the above sessions (Kees Kranenburg) was still going strong in 1972. I
      saw them in Toronto in the early eighties. I have an LP, recorded
      sometime in 1972 (Decca 6343 606), consisting almost entirely of
      musicians who joined the band in the mid thirties. Their work with
      Coleman Hawkins is available on GNP-9003(Crescendo Records), and I
      know that there are some titles with the Boswell Sisters. Hey, what
      about the Boswells: weren't they pretty hot in the late twenties?

      Cheers.

      Hans P. van der Vink